Any Wire That Can Be Placed In Cake?

Decorating By tab_stout Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm by Mug-a-Bug

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was anywire that is safe to insert into a cake. I found this: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18831&name=Sunrise%20Floral%20Wire%20-%2028%20Gauge%20-White Sunrise Floral Wire which I found on Global Sugar Art, but I wasn't sure if was food safe. I figured if any wire is food safe this might be because it's for inserting in gum paste. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

Gumpaste, while considered "edible" really isn't eaten but used for decoration. I have not found any wire that is food safe so I use the coffee stirrer method. I find it gives the wire more stability anyways.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, I thought that might be the case with these, but I thought I'd see if anyone new of a wire that was food safe. I also couldn't remember how to use the wire without actually touching the cake, but now that you said you use the coffee stirrer method I remember that you just put icing in the coffee stirrer and insert the wire, Thank you again!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with catlharper, coffee stirs, straws, plastic lollipop sticks will all work well for inserting wires into a cake.

You wouldn't want to use paper-covered wire in a cake even if it was food safe...the moisture in the cake would probably make the paper come off the wire and stay in the cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 6

Here is an informative thread that stays up in the sticky section of the Cake Decorating Forum. It is a lot of reading, but has some great alternatives to sticking wires in cakes. I, too, use the coffee stirrer method finding that quite user friendly. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290.html

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 6

I saw a post the other day that suggested using stainless steel dental wire. (PM me if you want a link to where you can purchase orthodontic wire) I'm sure any stainless steel wire is food safe, although I'm not sure where else you would get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%