Dry Cake Ughhhh!!

Baking By Dawanka Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 3:32am by prterrell

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 9

Well I bought the Whimsical Bakehouse and tried the golden butter cake recipe and followed it to the "'t" I made one 6" earlier in the day and a 10" a few hours later it was for my boyfriend's 30th birthday so I wanted something a little nicer than a basic white or yellow (his favs) well
my brother and his girlfriend devoured the 6" the next day so I figured the 10" which was for sunday was going to be as good.

So we sing happy birthday and I can't wait to try it I had been munching on the pieces I had cut to level it and they were good. So I look over and see his brother trying to eat it and my stomach was turning I took a bite of mine and it was so dry I could barely swallow it I don't even know what happened it was HORRIBLE!! I felt so bad he was so sweet about it saying he was glad I took the time to do all that work but it felt horrible.

Now here's the strangest part so I left the cake tops that were from leveling the cake in a tpperware on the counter at my parents house and I get a call on monday and my parents are telling me how great the cake scraps were that I had left at the house I could even hear my mom yelling in the back saying it was delicious so moist I was so confused I even asked what cake. So what happend??? I don't get it at all. I just wanted to cry.

8 replies
Cake-makerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-makerz Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry that this happened to you, but i can't help you out icon_sad.gif

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 9

Cake tops are normally moist anyway, so you left your mom the best part.

Did you frost your cake immediately upon it cooling? How many days before the party did you bake/

A scratch cake often could use the help of simple syrup to add moisture.

Sorry this happened.

Dawanka Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 9

I baked it late Friday and let it cool completely then I frosted it Saturday morning and had it Sunday night. Scratch cakes are so tempermental.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 9

I've made that cake before and it's pretty good. It might be you who just can't bake scratch! (said jokingly, of course!)

Dawanka Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 9

HAHA KarmaStew your probably right ; ) but I will definitely try again I mean I've made wheat and gluten free cakes from scratch that came our WAY better than this and are really yummy so I guess practice makes perfect.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawanka

I baked it late Friday and let it cool completely then I frosted it Saturday morning and had it Sunday night. Scratch cakes are so tempermental.

How did you keep it after it cooled to when you frosted it?

Even if you wrap it in layers of glad wrap (i think you call it saran wrap) and pop it in the freezer over night - then leave on your bench to thaw the next day (still wrapped) - then frost - it should retain its moisture.
I do this to every cake i bake - except fruit cake.

So annoying and frustrating for you - icon_sad.gif

Bluehue

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

Nothing personally directed at vtcake at all, just resonding to part of the comment. These types of comments tend to give scratch bakers a bad rep. I have never had to use syrups or freezer tricks to get a moist cake...nor do I soak my batter in oil. It really comes down to two things: Recipe and technique.

This is NOT about the big scratch vs box debate...I just disagree that scratch cakes tend to need syrups, etc. If the chemistry of your recipe is correct, no tricks should be necessary. icon_smile.gif

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

Only if it is a sponge type cake which is designed to need the addition of liquid after baking. Butter cakes when properly made do not.

Sounds to me like the batter was either over mixed or over baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%