New Cake Maker Seriously Thinking Of Starting A Buisness.

Business By Shelly11 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm by RobzC8kz

Shelly11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly11 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #1 of 10

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to start a cake making buisness. I am a surgical nurse by day, and have no clue on where to start with making my hobby into a buisness. I started making cakes about a year ago for family and friends, and now I get so many people asking me to make cakes for them. I have a hard time excepting money for my time since I love to make cakes, so I only ask for the cost of ingredients (which is really not much).

It is getting where I have been making more elaborate cakes for people, which takes me hours and hours to do, and really want to make this hobby into my career because I honestly love to do it. I still have a lot to learn, but would really love some advice/encouragement/etc.

Thanks,
Shelly

9 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #2 of 10

Do you want to do this from your home? You need to find out if you can do so legally in your state. Some states require seperate buildings or commercial property.
That's your first step.

Shelly11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly11 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 10

I actually would rather not have the buisness out of my home. I have a kitten and a golden retriever and keeping them out of the kitchen while I am making cakes for my friends and family is a huge pain.

I was thinking of possibly doing it from my inlaws house. They have a seperate kitchen in their basement.

Thanks for your information. It looks like I will have a lot of research to do.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #4 of 10

Contact the state dept. of agriculture in your state and your local heath dept. - both of those will have the info you need to see what is required.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 10

I always recommend that you check your zoning first. All the other is moot if you are going to get shut down by your neighbors for the extra traffic.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 10

Run the numbers first. Get a good feel for how many cakes you will need to do to cover overhead.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with all the suggestions the others have posted and I have something to add. You have wonderful cakes and decorate beautifully but, you have a difficult time taking money for anything other than the cost of the ingredients. Not trying to discourage you, your customers have found an INENXPENSIVE place to get fabulous cakes. How many clients are you going to have when you get licensed and are trying to make a business pay for itself and you start charging what your cakes are worth. If you are able to be a home baker then I would try that with my new prices before opening a storefront. Either way, good luck on your new venture. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 10

1. Make a fleasbility plan - different from a business plan, but can serve as a starting point for that.
2. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH - Marketing, cost, finances, industry, costs, competition, costs, local spending habit, costs, target market, costs, federal/state/city rules & regulations, costs, pricing etc...did I mention costs?
3. Be realistic! Running a business is 80% running the business and 20% talent

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with ccr03. RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH! Very little of my time is actually spent decorating - the rest of the time is running the business. Between paperwork, taxes, buying supplies, cleanup, marketing (VERY important), networking - the decorating part is almost the least most important part of it. I"ve been full-time dayjob and part-time cake business for 6 months and I'm worn out but I told my bosses today and I'm going part-time dayjob so I have more time to work and grow my business. Be prepared to have no life beyond work for a while. I haven't had a day off in over a year except 2 weekends - one was a family wedding and the other was a cake competition.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 10

One way that I decided to see if I was ready to handle the stress of making cakes for a living was to take on way too many orders in one week for extremely complex cakes, charged a ton of money for each one, spent all the money on bills, then waited to see if I would have beautiful finished product that met MY standards as well as the client's, OR, if I would have to refund all the money (that I didn't have anymore) because they all sucked!

Lucky for me, I was able to get them all done, on time, beautifully, AND had time left over to deliver them!!

That's when I knew I was ready for anything LESS than that on a consistent basis! Which...is kinda like what having your own bakery feels like at times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%