Are You Cookie Obsessed?

Baking By GeminiRJ Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 2:43am by GeminiRJ

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 57

I was just wondering how many of you out there are obsessed with cookies, like I am. Anyone else buy products (greeting cards, dish towels, t-shirts, cocktail napkins, etc.) that you don't really need, but you have to have the design so you can make it into a cookie? Of all the places you've found inspiration, what is the funniest...or strangest? Just wondering....

56 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 57

I have always had a bad habit of buying things that I might craft in ANY way! So I have lots of "ones" of things, waiting for me to make the match!!!! Makes decorating the house interesting.....

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 57

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I find inspiration in the strangest places... catalogs, greeting cards, magazines, commercials, people's clothes... several times a day I find myself thinking.. "oh, that would make a great cookie!"

If I only had the time (and the talent) to make all of the cookie designs I dream...

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 57

Yes, it's ridiculous and expensive! I've got all these napkins that I just KNOW the designs will make great cookies. I actually stopped myself the other day and I was so proud of myself! I also search endlessly online for images. I spend so much time on this that I don't get a lot done around here. Not only that, I'm not really making that many cookies! I wish I could get something done! Ok, I have to go and check out all the other sites I visit. Nothing like some more procrastination! icon_biggrin.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 57

i take my digital camera with me everywhere! you get the design without having to "buy" it. i asked someone a couple weeks ago if i could take a picture of their balloon. i have taken pictures of clocks, pajamas, billboards, books...everything! then download, change the size and taa daa! instant cookie cutter!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #6 of 57

That's a great idea!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:08am
post #7 of 57

I once bought a pair of jammies for my baby so I could copy the design onto a cookie. Does that count as obsessed? icon_smile.gif

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:33am
post #8 of 57

I bought this photo storage box just the other day 'cuz I loved the design and thought it would make for some beautiful cookies. (I wish you could see how vibrant the colors are in person. It's a great color/design combo.)
LL

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 57

Gemini and Kneadacookie, I see that you guys are forum fanatic and addict and I'm only a frequent member. You guys win!! icon_lol.gif

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 57

Yep! me too. Only its for cakes and cookies. I have a tub full of napkins, and another full of scrapbook paper! Got to carry my camera now thought!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 57

...i found and apron last night that had a pattern on it i want to make into a cookie, lol.

diane

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

i take my digital camera with me everywhere! you get the design without having to "buy" it. i asked someone a couple weeks ago if i could take a picture of their balloon. i have taken pictures of clocks, pajamas, billboards, books...everything! then download, change the size and taa daa! instant cookie cutter!

thats exactlly what I do........I have a folder on my pc that's designated JUST for this purpose LOL

luv2bake6 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 57

Last night one of my kids got a birthday gift and i loved the wrapping paper so i told her to be very careful when taking it off so i can have it.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 57

Oh, I am not alone!! icon_lol.gif I seem to find inspiration everywhere! I am always sketching things I see to use as inspiration to bounce off of later. Hmm.. the funniest one? An anatomically correct book on crustaceans so I could figure out how to do lobster's claws. Mine ended up looking completely different, but I wanted to make sure I got the right idea. My husband thought I was a nut for the amount of time I spent on that. That and the amount of time I spent trying to make sure I got a simple sailboat design right. I kept finding different technical sketches that didn't match, so I called a sailing shop in CA to ask one of the pros there just where my jib should go. He got a kick out of that.

I find that the world is full of cookie inspiration. icon_biggrin.gif I found myself staring at a tattoo once. Luckily, I was not noticed as that would have been funny to explain. icon_lol.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #15 of 57

That is so funny!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 57

Ok, My name is Sol and I'm cookie-making adicted... icon_lol.gif
I just started this year to make a lot of new designs for my cookies. Right now all my inspiration has come from all of you guys and from some gals at flikr...
The strange part is that some of my cutters start looking funny, like a triangular guitar I made, the cutter looks like it's for an X-rated cookie(man's anatomy)

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I find that the world is full of cookie inspiration. icon_biggrin.gif I found myself staring at a tattoo once. Luckily, I was not noticed as that would have been funny to explain. icon_lol.gif

Now, if you actually GOT the tattoo, I think that would qualify you as the most cookie obsessed person on the planet! Just staring....simple obsession!

And I'm going to have to start carrying my camera around with me more!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:55pm
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I was just wondering how many of you out there are obsessed with cookies, like I am. Anyone else buy products (greeting cards, dish towels, t-shirts, cocktail napkins, etc.) that you don't really need, but you have to have the design so you can make it into a cookie? Of all the places you've found inspiration, what is the funniest...or strangest? Just wondering....

I don't do it for cookies but "collect" things for cakes. I have taped to my refrig for over a year now a square Hawaiian paper plate because I loved the design. I don't have the talent you ladies do to hand make cookies but I certainly LOVE that all of you share your talents with us! If anyone wants to sell their big toe to me, I'd be grateful! icon_wink.gif

TracyLH Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Quote:

Now, if you actually GOT the tattoo, I think that would qualify you as the most cookie obsessed person on the planet!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think you have got that right, Susan! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thanks for the laugh! (Now back to washing pastry bags... icon_rolleyes.gif )

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #20 of 57

I was putting something away for my mother in her china cabinet just now... and I kept looking at patterns on the tea cups and other little collectibles she had....

... and I ended up taking pictures of some for cookie designs!

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #21 of 57

Same here ladies. I am pretty new to all of this and everywhere I look now I find myself looking for ideas. icon_eek.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #22 of 57

Ooh-ooh-ooooh! (Stretching hand really high like Arnold Horshack!) I find inspiration everywhere and often have to keep from buying something "just to make into a cookie".

I find that there aren't a lot of patterns/ideas out there for Jewish holidays so I am more likely to buy something if I think it will work. My best example was of a Snoopy Hanukkah wrapping paper. I don't have any "little" ones anymore, but I bought it so I could adapt it into my Snoopy Chanukah cookie (I added the Menorah and put Woodstock next to Snoopy).

Probably the oddest place I've found inspiration was in our basement. I found this ancient tin full of nails on top of the water heater and it has some of the most interesting Jewish holiday patterns on it!!

Kathi

P.S. My 15 year old daughter caught me staring at a tattoo once, and kept trying to distract me saying I was being rude. She just rolled her eyes when I said it would make a great cookie!

luv2bake6 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #23 of 57

Yesterday, I was cleaning out a drawer and found an old anniversary card my husband bought for me. I was about to throw it out but then noticed a beautiful vine backround (i never used to notice these things), so i put it into my cookie files.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #24 of 57

I'm soooo glad to hear others buy stuff just for cookie inspiration! Here I thought I was the only one! icon_lol.gif

TracyLH Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Quote:

Ooh-ooh-ooooh! (Stretching hand really high like Arnold Horshack!)

Okay, that made me smile! icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #26 of 57

TracyLH, I'm glad somebody recognized it! icon_lol.gif

Kathi

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #27 of 57

I'm not so much obsessed with stuff for inspiration for cookies as I am with cookie cutters!

I want every cutter I see that I don't already have. It's getting to the point where they are the ones that go for $15 and up!
I've been collecting them before I even started to actually use them!

I need to join CCA(cookie cutter anonymous)! icon_surprised.gif

lmr4876 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmr4876 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #28 of 57

I am also a cookie cutter collector. I am running out of room to store them all. I probably have 20 storage containers filled. It won't stop me from buying more though. Bought 3 today while I was out. I wish I had endless time to try them all out. I like to look at kids stickers and all the new wedding and shower invitations and thank you cards. Wrapping paper and scrap booking papers are alway neat too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

TracyLH, I'm glad somebody recognized it! icon_lol.gif

Kathi

I recognized it too Kathi!! In fact I was afraid to say anything lest I date myself!! icon_biggrin.gif

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #30 of 57

[quote="cookiemookie"]I'm not so much obsessed with stuff for inspiration for cookies as I am with cookie cutters!

I want every cutter I see that I don't already have. It's getting to the point where they are the ones that go for $15 and up!
I've been collecting them before I even started to actually use them!

I need to join CCA(cookie cutter anonymous)! icon_surprised.gif

me too cookiemookie, love those cutters. I have pegboard with hooks that I hang all my cutters on. I'm very proud of my collection. No one else is tho. They think I'm crazy

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%