Make Fondant Smooth?

Decorating By jenncal55 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 6:37am by CakeWelder

jenncal55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncal55 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 16

I made this cake for my daughter's 7th b-day a few weeks ago & I made MMF for the base (pink) & used Wilton brand for the top (no one ate that part). As you can see, the pink is just not smooth looking. I just don't get it!!! icon_razz.gif
LL

15 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 16

I think the cake looks great!
I've always had a problem with MMF not being perfectly smooth. Does yours dry hard or remain soft? If it stays soft, there's going to be some bumps. I use Debbie Brown's fondant recipe (not sure if I can post here, PM if you'd like). It goes on smooth, dries hard (but not hard like gumpaste), and can be flavored so that i'll actually be eaten icon_razz.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 16

Yah, Ive had the same problem with MMF also. Ive used another recipe thats on here in the recipe section. Michelle Foster's recipe. Have good results with it, and if I dont have time I buy Satin Ice.
Also, really good video with lots of tips and tricks is Sharon Zambito's Fabulous Fondant. If you want to get it you can buy it at sugaredproductions.com.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #4 of 16

jenncal55...what brand of MM's did you use?

I only use Kraft and never have issues. I've tried Wal-Mart's and a local store brand, and both didn't work well.

jenncal55 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 16

Thanks! icon_smile.gif I got the MMF recipe online somewhere. I've gotten better at it, it's probably my 4th time doing fondant. This time I used the Kraft mini marshmallows. Should I use big ones?

It does remain soft, not like the Wilton. It's VERY yummy so I don't mind the taste! icon_smile.gif Just those little holes in it, they drive me nuts!!

ChoueiriCakeCo : I'd LOVE the recipe! Thanks!

Jenn

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #6 of 16

I've never tried the big ones myself.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 16

YOUR FONDANT MAY HAVE BEEN TOO DRY, SOMETIMES I HAVE TO USE LESS POWDERED SUGAR THAN OTHER TIMES DUE TO THE HUIDITY AND SOMETIMES IT HELPS TO PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE FOR A FEW SECONDS ESPECIALLY IF IT HASN'T BEEN KNEADED OR HANDLED FOR A WHILE AND HAS GOTTEN COLD AND STIFF. I PERSONALLY DO NOT CARE FOR THE KRAFT BRAND MARSHMALLOWS. ALSO, CHECK THE SIZE OF THE BAGS, MOST KRAFT BAGS ARE 12 OZ NOT 16OZ LIKE MOST RECIPES CALL FOR, SO IF YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION YOU WILL END UP KNEADING IN TOO MUCH SUGAR. HOPE THIS HELPS

jenncal55 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 16

dianaguerrant: Thanks! That does make sense! I'm making another cake next month so I'll 2x!

Jenn icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 16

Michele Foster's is the bomb

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:35am
post #10 of 16

Whenever I use the Kraft jet puffed, it's always a little more marshmallowy (did I just make up a word? icon_biggrin.gif ) and for whatever reason seems to hold more air bubbles. If I can I use walmart or HEB brand and it's usually pretty smooth. I also add a tbsp or so of shortening to the marshmallows before heating them up.

CakeWelder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWelder Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #11 of 16

I agree that it looks too dry. The cake overall is amazing and you were probably the only one that saw this problem.
When I am making MMF I use liberal amounts of crisco on my hands as I am working in the powdered sugar. This tends to solve any dry look, But of course I look like the swedish chef on the Mupets. I also don't use it right away, It is in the fridge for the night. then when it is time to use it I bring it out (still wraped in cling wrap) for an hour or so. this brings it back to room temp and ready to be needed by hand. the warmth of your hands is just about perfect temp to prepare for rolling.

jenncal55 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #12 of 16

CakeWelder:

I'll have to watch my powdered sugar to make sure it's not too dry. I used Crisco on my hands but I also followed the recipe to use corn starch too for the bottom. Next time I'm not going to do that!

I too keep the fondant in the fridge over night with saran wrap & then keep it out to warm up.

mmmm....seems VERY temperamental!!!! lol

Thanks!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:49am
post #13 of 16

I have a silly question - why do y'all keep the mmf in the fridge overnight? I always let mine (whether MMF or MFF) rest on the counter. Do you think that refrigerating it may prevent it from coming together properly? (Just a thought. Not to say I always have 100% success w/my fondant either!)

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 16

I always use Satin Ice so I am of no help but wanted to tell you the cake is beautiful!

CakeWelder Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I have a silly question - why do y'all keep the mmf in the fridge overnight? I always let mine (whether MMF or MFF) rest on the counter. Do you think that refrigerating it may prevent it from coming together properly? (Just a thought. Not to say I always have 100% success w/my fondant either!)

I have always put it in the fridge overnight. I have had 100% success and never had a tear. I use it exclusively because regular fondant taste terrible and everyone always peels it off before they eat the cake.

CakeWelder Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:37am
post #16 of 16

To be honest I don't know why I put it in the fridge. I just made two batches, I am going to let them sit out this time. It is kind of a pain to warm it up again. Just a habbit I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%