What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm by tiggy2

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 6

Okay. This weekend was another cake disaster. I didn't give myself enough time to do the cake, my buttercream was too soft and my fondant eventually starting pooling around the bottom of the Bakugan ball.

I don't get it. I can't figure out what the heck I am doing wrong. The last 3 cakes I made were far from what i had them envisioned to be. I have a spongebob cake on the 31st and a Boobs (yes, boobs) cake on the 1st. But I am losing faith in myself. I seem to be in a rut.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my MMF?

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 6

I think you answered your own question "I didn't give myself enough time to do the cake, my buttercream was too soft". After filling and crumb coating the the cake needs to sit and settle for several hours to prevent bulging between the layers. After applying final coat of icing and smoothing let crust before adding fondant. If the BC is too soft there is no way it can hold the weight of fondant and it will sag. It fondant is rolled to thick the weight will pull everything down. Are you trying to do everything in one day?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

I go through that too! Where nothing seems to go right for several cakes. What MMF do you use? First of all, I discovered that I was heating my marshmallows too much in the microwave (from another helpful cc'er). Less is more with marshmallows! Only put them in the microwave for short intervals and mix well in between. I was also adding the icing sugar to them before they had cooled down enough. Then I found that I was heating my MMF too much when I went to soften before I applied. That will affect the consistency as well. If your BC seems to soft, then it probably is.. bite the bullet, put it back in the KA and add some more icing sugar (are you using Indydebi's)? before using. Hope that helps! Buck up - you are just in a wee rut and it'll get better icon_smile.gif

Bella214 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I think you answered your own question "I didn't give myself enough time to do the cake, my buttercream was too soft". After filling and crumb coating the the cake needs to sit and settle for several hours to prevent bulging between the layers. After applying final coat of icing and smoothing let crust before adding fondant. If the BC is too soft there is no way it can hold the weight of fondant and it will sag. It fondant is rolled to thick the weight will pull everything down. Are you trying to do everything in one day?

Yes. One day lol. I usually pull it off too. This cake was much bigger and I didn't plan properly. As for the MMF, well, that was just a mess.

Bella214 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I go through that too! Where nothing seems to go right for several cakes. What MMF do you use? First of all, I discovered that I was heating my marshmallows too much in the microwave (from another helpful cc'er). Less is more with marshmallows! Only put them in the microwave for short intervals and mix well in between. I was also adding the icing sugar to them before they had cooled down enough. Then I found that I was heating my MMF too much when I went to soften before I applied. That will affect the consistency as well. If your BC seems to soft, then it probably is.. bite the bullet, put it back in the KA and add some more icing sugar (are you using Indydebi's)? before using. Hope that helps! Buck up - you are just in a wee rut and it'll get better icon_smile.gif

I used Rhonda's MMF. I did the mixing in between 40 second intervals. I didn't know you were supposed to heat to softened. I just rolled it out to a quarter of an inch and placed it. But it buched at the botton and then it seemed too heavy for the cake. Over the next few hours it just stretched and streeched until it was pooled at the bottom.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I need an idiot proof fondant recipe LOL.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 6

No matter how good the fondant is if you don't have a good base (solid) to put it on you will have the same problem. You should always bake at least one day ahead to give the cake time to firm up a little begore frosting. Then the frosting needs time to settle and set up before the fondant is applied.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%