I Was Enraged By A Cake Decorator!

Decorating By MandaBrizown Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm by cownsj

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:11am
post #91 of 169

I hope at some point the bride is told so that she doesn't think the person she hired did it. I would hate for her to recommend her to someone and they not get such a generous kind-hearted cake decorator to save the day (or friendship)! And as the bride, I would want to thank the person who fixed my cake and cared enough about my feelings! icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #92 of 169

I would be interested in calling the cake decorator and finding out what the deal was...I know people who can't decorate cakes worth beans, and they'd still put out something better looking than the original pic posted here....Whoa. I've seen better in a Wilton I class!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:23am
post #93 of 169

Even $85 a tier is way too much for that cake. Its obvious that she has never made a tiered cake before so I wonder how she was able to snag the bride in the first place? Maybe one of those types that steal other photos of people's work or something.
And for fixing it, you did a great job. I would of probably felt the same way but would worry about touching something without permission and getting in trouble over it, even if it looked as bad as it did. (probably would of brought it to the brides attention or the MOB)

hazelhuney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelhuney Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #94 of 169

OH MY GOD! thank GOD u fixed that cake..I hope this cake decorator is on this board so she can explain to us why would you make a wedding cake like that??!!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #95 of 169

I can't find the picture, why?

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #96 of 169

I don't see the pics either...I wanna see "the amazing save" icon_lol.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #97 of 169

page 3 or 4 has the pics....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #98 of 169

If you posters will read the entire thread before posting, you will see they were posted on page 4.
I looked, and they are still there.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:51am
post #99 of 169

ahhh...the op said they were in their pictures, so that's where I looked.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #100 of 169

ive seen people like this before, a lady i met in a class happened to be a friend of my sister law so we got chatting, ive seen her cakes. well, she getting better at it , but she charges through her nose for cakes, only to friends and family mind, but she inists she be well imbursed for her time. . her words to me were , I can buy a cake mix and a tub of spread at asda for less than a fiver and the 50 quid profit makes me happy .....*sigh* i do cakes because i LOVE doing it, any extras are wonderful bonuses, but not what i do it for. i guess this so called decorater thought all her hard work and time deserved $85 a tier.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:34am
post #101 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

If you posters will read the entire thread before posting, you will see they were posted on page 4.
I looked, and they are still there.

Since the very first and subsequent answering posts were talking about the pictures, I had assumed, that the pics were in the photos, as the OP said they were. I looked there. It is not unsual in my host country that certain things are filtered out, no idea how and why they do that, certain sites are not openable for me at all, some sites only allow me to see certain pages. So it is not unusual for me to be left hanging. I did not read all the posts, my bad, was only irritated that so many people were talking about the photos, which I could not see, i did not know that they were removed, I automatically assumed, they were in a nirwana, that was being blocked for me by my gracious hosts. I did read till end of page 2, thinking I might see something

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:02am
post #102 of 169

Look on page 4

Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:13am
post #103 of 169

Wow the cake is really bad. I only decorate for friends and family and have only done like five cakes but I wouldn't even THINK about selling or even showing that cake to anyone. It's so rough. You did a great job at fixing the cake. The bride and cake decorator were lucky to have you there.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:21am
post #104 of 169

Look on page 4 of this thread, not the decorator's photos...she only has one page.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:44am
post #105 of 169

I just read all of the pages of this post and not only do I commend you on the GREAT save but also on your graciousness in responding to the "hoax" allegations. You not only showed great character in saving her cake but in defending your good name here as well.

Big thumbs up to those who came back announcing their indulgence of some humble pie and extending their apologies.

Love this place!

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:02am
post #106 of 169

OH.....

My....

GOD....

Really? Ok, I have to admit, when I first read your post I thought you were really exaggerating. After seeing the picture of the cake!.. holy crap! what in the world was that? the cardboard circles alone... just wow. who in the world thinks that that is what a wedding cake looks like?? unbelievable!

your cake save looks AMAZING. a perfectly presentable wedding cake. GREAT JOB!!

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #107 of 169

I can't stop going to page four to look again!!!

It's just like one of those very graphic pictures of a bloody corpse, horrible and decomposing.
You can't stand it, but you can't help it either. You just can't take your eyes off it. LOL

It's unconceivable a wedding cake like that!!!!

And I agree with you guys that the so called "cake decorator" should never take credit for the fixed cake. The bride has to know what happened and advise anyone that might ask her what a crap job she got.

Anyway, JMO

trajones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trajones Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #108 of 169

Just one question. What would've happen if someone had gotten sick from the cake (or said they did)? Would the OP have been held responsible since she "tampered" with the cake? No judgements towards the OP, just wondering in case I am ever in a similar situation..

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #109 of 169

That person isn't a decorator and obviously they never even READ a book about cake decorating. Most likely was a friend of a friend and that was her first cake. I'd get my $ back for sure or we'd be in court.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #110 of 169

I don't know, (trying to get in the woman's head) perhaps the domes were her way of replicating that curved edge one gets from fondant?
I am still trying to get my head around her sprinkling plastic beads around the cake and cake table..

Chickycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickycakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #111 of 169

That cake is just awful. Hard to believe anyone would put their name on it.

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #112 of 169

Argggh. The pics are blocked for me (I'm at work) icon_sad.gif I can't wait to see the pics of this horrid cake and the great save. I'm so glad you were able to take care of this bride's cake for her.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #113 of 169

I'm just curious to how the women acted. Did she act confident, or embarrassed. Did she make excuses, or is that the way it was suppose to look. I'm just wondering about this lady, how could someone drop off a cake like that. It really blows my mind that someone would charge for a cake that looked like that. My 10 year old neice could have made a better cake, and she has never made a cake before. If you are getting paid for a cake, wouldn't you research proper assembly, with the internet it costs nothing to learn. Even a totally untrained person could do better. Its one of those things that really has me scratching my head, what is this lady like.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #114 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I'm just curious to how the women acted. Did she act confident, or embarrassed. Did she make excuses, or is that the way it was suppose to look. I'm just wondering about this lady, .

I was wondering the same thing. It was a great save.. but did the original baker see the end result? If so, tell us what happened? Don't leave us in suspense... I want to know how this ends... icon_rolleyes.gif

AnaToplin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaToplin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #115 of 169

I am having a slow day at work and have read the entire thread...so many opinions. It seems to me that the negative critisism is unecessary. Like another post on here- why would anyone make up a story like this??? For attention? Sorry- but MandaBrizown seems to have more talent than making this up- if she wants attention she'll just showcase one of her cakes. I am down with all the positive praise and for the "haters" as kids call it now, try too have faith that these things can actually happen. It's not realistic fiction, it happened. I wish there was someone from that wedding on here, CC, to back you up, MandaBrizown. Way to go. I am getting married in one week and a half, and you better believe I did my reseach on cakes. About 7 months away from my wedding I said I was going to do my own cake. but I know how hard my simple cakes have been (I just started this venture) and I had to admit to myself, "let someone professional do it". And I am glad I did. A week and a half away there are too many details and running around. I know I will get quality work. That bride should have been more involved in the details of her wedding. After all, the aim is to only do this one time...wouldn't you be involved as a bride? As far as that decorator goes, we haven't heard her side. Perhaps this was her BEST to date cake and she saw this as a great accomplishment both finacially and skill wise. I do agree she needs to be told that it was not good. A good honest friend needs to tell her to take some classes on decorating AND on how to charge and do business. And she should definitely be told not to do weddings until she masters this art. A friend of mine asked to hire me for her wedding. She has not set a date yet, but I was honest. Even with the great money offer I got, I still told her I would think about it. I have the sketch and "potential contract" for her, but I still told her when she sets a date, if I am not comfortable, I will recommend another baker/decorator. Not that I do not beleive in myself, but I am not going to pair my name with crappy work, especially for a friend who is willing to pay. And since I am not "there" yet, I cannot guarantee a masterpeice. MandaBrizown, great job, I hope you are ignoring all the skeptics. Happy caking!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:46pm
post #116 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaToplin

I am having a slow day at work and have read the entire thread...so many opinions. It seems to me that the negative critisism is unecessary. Like another post on here- why would anyone make up a story like this??? For attention? Sorry- but MandaBrizown seems to have more talent than making this up- if she wants attention she'll just showcase one of her cakes. I am down with all the positive praise and for the "haters" as kids call it now, try too have faith that these things can actually happen. It's not realistic fiction, it happened. I wish there was someone from that wedding on here, CC, to back you up, MandaBrizown. Way to go. I am getting married in one week and a half, and you better believe I did my reseach on cakes. About 7 months away from my wedding I said I was going to do my own cake. but I know how hard my simple cakes have been (I just started this venture) and I had to admit to myself, "let someone professional do it". And I am glad I did. A week and a half away there are too many details and running around. I know I will get quality work. That bride should have been more involved in the details of her wedding. After all, the aim is to only do this one time...wouldn't you be involved as a bride? As far as that decorator goes, we haven't heard her side. Perhaps this was her BEST to date cake and she saw this as a great accomplishment both finacially and skill wise. I do agree she needs to be told that it was not good. A good honest friend needs to tell her to take some classes on decorating AND on how to charge and do business. And she should definitely be told not to do weddings until she masters this art. A friend of mine asked to hire me for her wedding. She has not set a date yet, but I was honest. Even with the great money offer I got, I still told her I would think about it. I have the sketch and "potential contract" for her, but I still told her when she sets a date, if I am not comfortable, I will recommend another baker/decorator. Not that I do not beleive in myself, but I am not going to pair my name with crappy work, especially for a friend who is willing to pay. And since I am not "there" yet, I cannot guarantee a masterpeice. MandaBrizown, great job, I hope you are ignoring all the skeptics. Happy caking!!

Did you read this entire thread?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #117 of 169

To the OP- Great job and so nice of you to jump in and "save" this cake!

To those who don't believe it? Yeah, things like this DO happen and people like this DO exist. It's kinda like American Idol. I wonder who tells some of the people that they can sing? But, they show up and are just....well...HORRIBLE and then are surprised that they don't get to go "On To Hollywood!". There are cake decorators that think they are the GREATEST and then.....well....you get the Before on Page 4!

Sad but True!

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #118 of 169

trying to locate the pic in your forum pics....???? ok found the pics............ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....what was she thinking...you did wonderfullllllllllll..... job.....

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #119 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

.... It's kinda like American Idol. ......

what a perfect analogy! i only watch the beginning where there are really bad people and i say to hubby "surely they know they are terrible" but the tears and begging out of them makes me think they they really do think they are good ((shakes head in disbelief))

AnaToplin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaToplin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:41pm
post #120 of 169

Yes, jammjenks, the entire thread, all 8 or 9 pages of it...i had a lot of time on my hands... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%