My Buttercreme Keeps Cracking?

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm by jammjenks

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 12

So I use a similar to Wilton recipe for buttercream because everyone loves that one. I stopped using meringue powder because my icing was cracking dry. Last night I did a cake for today using bright colors and this morning the icing looked cracked. I tried to re-smooth with the papertowel method, which made it worse.

Thankfully this was for family and reduced the price of the cake because of the appearence, but this is not acceptable and I was embarassed.

Any tips?

Thanks!

11 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 12

Ii wish I could helphave had it happen and have no idea why.....Hope you find out. Let me know if you do,

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 12

i dont use buttercream very often, as i prefer ganache, but it sounds to me as though it was still to dry, perhaps adding the tiniest bit more cream/milk next time to see if that helps?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 12

Add a few drops of vinegar to it. It helps stop the cracking. As long as you only use a few drops to a batch you won't taste it either.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 12

Try this recipe next time. It's great - tastes similar to the regular wilton buttercream - I think it's better, though - a little creamier. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Also, I only use Crisco and "pure cane" sugar. Also - be sure you are using a sturdy cake board or base underneath. Any give in the board and the icing will crack if you move it all.

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 12

I think my cake board was a bit flimsy for the weight of this cake. Did not expect it to be so heavy.

What boards do you all use for 1/2 sheets? This was a half sheet with a tool box on top 1/2 of a 1/4 sheet stacked.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:34am
post #7 of 12

I would use masonite for a cake like that. I use 1/2 inch plywood for most of my wedding cakes.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #8 of 12

When you use masonite for cake boards, do you just put Wilton cake paper over it or anything additional? Wasn't sure how smooth these boards were.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:00am
post #9 of 12

They are smooth, yes. You can cover just like usual.

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 12

Ok, what is masonite? I always just use the carboard cake board and double/triple if I feel needed.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 12

you are adding too much PS... that's why it's cracking.... you need to keep in mind that humidity... altittute etc play a rold on your final product....

Good Luck with your next try... icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 12

Masonite is a compressed wood board. It is very sturdy. I usually get mine from GSA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%