Freezing Cakes And Simple Syrup

Decorating By yummy Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm by nadia0411

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi all. I make doctored cake mixes and have recently started freezing my cakes and really loving it. I recently had a cake that was so delicious it was wet moist and one layer with a vanilla icing. I think it's a puerto rican pound cake. I did a search for a recipe and really didn't come up with anything that matched what I tasted. I found something that I think is close and I want to try it. I have to use a simple syrup which I've never done. I'm using a DH doctored mix without pudding in loaf pans and will be icing with a glaze. My questions are

At what stages do I use the simple syrup after baking?

Can cakes with simple syrup be frozen or is it not neccessary?

When is the best time to apply a glaze?

6 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 7

Hopefully, I can be of some help icon_smile.gif

I also freeze my cakes and use simple syrup...this is what I do.

I bake the cake let it cool slightly, wrap and put in the freezer. When I am ready to use the cake, I pull the cake out of the freezer and let it thaw out. I then brush each layer, top and bottom, and sides with the syrup. I soak them pretty good but dont worry if it looks all "wet". I wrap the cake with saran wrap overnight that way the syrup can infuse into the cake and work its magic!! The syrup just gets sucked into the cake. The next day I fill and decorate as usual.

This technique has always worked for me. My cakes always get the best compliments...that they are so moist. Sugar syrups can be flavored with liquors and extracts.

I did however soak a cake and had to place it in the freezer for later use. I simply pulled the cake out of the freezer, let it thaw out and fill and decorate as usual.

I haven't tried any cakes with glazes...so I cant help you with that.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

yummy Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #3 of 7

Hi Normita; thank you so much.

If the cake is well flavored should I add flavoring to the simple syrup; will it be over powering since the syrup infuses overnight; how much flavoring?

This cake will be made in loaf pans so no trimming the top or torting. If I brush the syrup on all sides will it soak through or should I poke holes all over?

So, when you soaked and froze the cake did you thaw in the refrigerator or on counter; did it get any more wet than it was supposed to be? TIA.

Normita Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:42am
post #4 of 7

I usually don't add flavor to the syrup...but if you decide to add flavoring start by adding a teaspoon at a time. I just brush the cakes using a pastry brush and I never poke any holes or anything...but I suppose you can prick little holes if you like. And I brush it everywhere!!

With my frozen cake I just let it thaw at room temp on the counter and did not unwrap the cake until it was thawed. When a cake is thawing you will see it really "wet" but all that wetness is moisture that will seep into the cake, so dont worry.

My recipe is 1 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water. Let it boil and if you are going to add flavoring let it come to room temp...this is when I also brush it on my cakes. I have frozen any leftover syrup and just pulled it out of the freezer and placed it in a container/bowl with cold water to thaw it out. Usually takes about 15 minutes to thaw.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

yummy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 7

Thanks again Normita.

Normita Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 7

Your welcome. Hope it works out icon_smile.gif

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 7

wow thanks for great information, i will be adding this step to my cake 'regime' this weekend. i am looking for a super moist cake baked from scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%