Frig Or Not?

Decorating By vickymacd Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm by shannonlovebug

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #1 of 3

i'm not a professional, but am making a cake for my managers baby shower. It's a WASC with a strawberry mousse. The mousse I want to use is delicious, but will have to be refrigerated. So, to finish the cake, filling in the middle, and then decorated, here are my questions:
1. Is there a strawberry filling/mousse that doesn't have to be refrigerated? If not, how long can it sit out? I certainly don't want to make anyone sick.

2. the cake will be covered in buttercream, but with MMF accents. Is it correct that this can NOT go into the frig because of the MMF?

3. How do I do this if filling HAS to be in frig, but MMF CAN'T?

I'd change the flavors, but the 'mom' wants strawberry mousse. I'm not experienced enough to know what to do.

Thankyou for all help!

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 3

1. Is there a strawberry filling/mousse that doesn't have to be refrigerated? If not, how long can it sit out? I certainly don't want to make anyone sick.

2. the cake will be covered in buttercream, but with MMF accents. Is it correct that this can NOT go into the frig because of the MMF?

3. How do I do this if filling HAS to be in frig, but MMF CAN'T?

I haven't had problems putting MMF or any fondant in the fridge. Just don't paint it or use RI accents or anything before. It may have some condensation on it and be tacky to the touch when you take it out, but if you let it air dry a couple of hours, it will be fine. Then you can paint or do whatever else you have to do then.
Sorry, I cannot speak to the mousse, as i have never done that filling. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 3

I always put my MMF covered cakes in the fridge and have never had a problem. Most of the time it stays completely dry but occasionally I'll get a little condensation...that goes away after a few minutes of sitting out.

If it's a mousse it's most likely got dairy in it so that must be refridgerated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%