Satin Ice Problems!

Decorating By mcalhoun Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 3:32am by TobiasWilhelm

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 7

I have a brand new 20 lb bucket of Satin Ice and am having a terrible time with it. It is like it is too dry or old. I have added buttercream to it and I tried adding Crisco but this makes it tear too easily. I thought about calling them because I really think it is a bad batch but I have had several cakes over the past two weekends and had to use it. When I take it out to knead it I see cracking along the folds so its not like I have left it out too long its dry straight from the bucket. The plastic was wrapped tightly but when I tried to lift it out of the bucket the plastic tore into a bunch of pieces. Thank goodness for Sugarshack because taking some Crisco and rubbing it on after I have the cakes have helped some. Luckily the cakes have had either lots of stripes or polkadots on them to cover all the cracking. I have bought Satin Ice in 20 lb buckets many many times and have NEVER had a problem like this. Has anyone had this happen to them recently? Any ideas of what to do? I hate to waste 8-10 lbs of fondant and I cant return it because I had to use so much from the bucket.

6 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:19am
post #2 of 7

I really dont know if I can help you much...but I have heard that there are times people just get a bad batch. I always use fondx for the white fondant and satin ice in red and black . I recently ordered a 20 pound bucket and I am scared to get the results like you did.

I know that rubbing it with crisco will help some minor stretching....I wouldnt add buttercream to the fondant. How about if you knead it, rub it with a lot of crisco, roll it into a ball, wrap it in saran wrap overnight. But I also know that if you add too much shortening it will soften the fondant. Maybe it will get better overnight. Sorry, I dont know the answer. Hopefully, someone with more experience can offer more suggestions icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #3 of 7

My first experience with satin ice was just like that, it kept cracking and was just too stiff for me no matter what I did, I still remember I cried lol !!!

People love Satin Ice but for some reason it did not cooperate with me and honestly I will never buy it again, I got traumatized lol !!!

No offense to anyone who loves SI.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 7

My first experience with SI was awful too! But I subsequently learned to use Crisco on my hands and a little on the SI and I warmed it in the microwave. Then rolled it out on a very large mat and then flipped it over like Sugarshack shows on her DVD's. That way the bottom becomes the top. Since then, no problems at all. I love it now and don't like to use anything else. I have purchased 20 lb buckets with no problems at all.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #5 of 7

We use SI almost exclusively and had issues twice before - both times I suspect the distributor rather than SI itself, when comparing the batch numbers of good and bad buckets, they were the same. I suspected our warehouse at first, but they were basically dry right off the pallet.

We try not to microwave fondant or GP as it deteriorates the material in my opinion - with GP more so than fondant.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Normita - There is a decorator I have seen at several shows her name is Ruth (sorry forgot her last name) and she is the one that suggested adding a little buttercream to your fondant.

Tobias what would the distributor do to the fondant?

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #7 of 7

My guess at the time was storage problems - storing improperly for extended period of time. If I remember correctly, we had a problem with like 3 buckets out of 10 with the same batch number.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%