Embossing? Debossing? What Do You Call This Effect?

Decorating By Kia333 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm by Kia333

Kia333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kia333 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 5

I need to know how to create this effect, the lines on the cake on fondant. I tried using the wilton pinwheel but they were not perfect...is there a more efficient way? What am i missing?

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 5

It looks like it was done with an impression mat. earlenescakes.com sells one.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 5

you can use the impression mat as karateks said or the 3 diamond quilter. I have both and prefer the 3 diamond quilter, more control, especially around corners

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 5

I've used the diamond impression mat on fondant, but you have to do it while the fondant is fresh on the cake or it'll be too stiff to take the impression without cracking. I also went back over the lines with an embossing wheel just to make sure the lines were very defined. But, I think a quilter would work better. Pix I've seen of cakes done with a quilter just look better; the impression goes deeper and the lines are sharper and more defined. I think you can get them in different sizes, too.

Kia333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kia333 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks lot guys! I can always count on u for helpl!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%