Need A Cake That Tastes Like A Jelly Filled Donut

Baking By TheClaw76 Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm by artscallion

TheClaw76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheClaw76 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 5

I'm making my cousin's wedding cake and the groom's cake as well. To do something extra special for her, I'd like to make her a cake that tastes like a jelly filled donut (long story...). I already know that I'm going to use a black raspberry jelly as the torte. Does anyone have a good recipe that they could share for the cake to make it taste like a donut? Also, any thoughts on what frosting/icing to use? I would like to use one that can be used to decorate (like the Wilton's buttercream).

Any suggestions would be welcome!!

4 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 5

I hope you get an answer, I would like to know that too!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 5

I don't have recipe for cake that tastes like a doughnut, but I would recommend Indydebi's buttercream for your frosting. Tastes great, great texture and holds up well in heat. Here's a link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

HTH

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 5

Just a thought...Maybe try WASC cake flavored with Butter Dough bakery emulsion from Lorann Oils?? BTW...Indydebi's icing ROCKS!! Add lots of vanilla to get the donut glaze taste. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

Jelly doughnuts are fried yeast doughnuts, as opposed to fried cake doughnuts. The dough itself has no added flavoring. Just flour yeast salt sugar, etc. So I would find a very basic white or yellow cake to start with. The flavors you want to add to that are that very particular flavor that yeast gives things, and a fried flavor. How you would do that is the question.

I might experiment with torting your layers, then actually frying them in a large saute pan with a 1/2" of peanut oil until they're golden all over. Then fill and stack them with jelly filling. You might even try finding an actual jelly doughnut recipe to replicate the yeast dough and bake it up in a cake pan as if it were bread. Then trim, torte and fry it.

I know it sounds crazy. But you could end up with a really sensational new cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%