When To Throw Out Gel Colors??

Decorating By bakermom3107 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 2:21am by bakermom3107

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 5

So I have a few colors that I rarely use and have had for a while. How long are they good for after you open them? Do they spoil? TIA!!

4 replies
bakermom3107 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 5

Am I missing something?? Has this been asked a hundred times?? Sorryicon_sad.gif I'll try harder to look for it!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:06am
post #3 of 5

I found this post in the forums on the Wilton website:

Quote:
Quote:

karen

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:20 PM

I wrote Wilton about that in 2004. The reply I received was: "The Icing Colors are freshest if used within 24 months from the date of production. The date of production is stamped on each individual container and reads as follows:
First digit: last number of the year it was produced in
Next three digits: day of the year it was produced in
Last three digits: batch number
This 24 month period is only for optimum quality purposes. It does not mean that the product cannot be used after this time, as there is nothing in it that will spoil or go bad. We recommend storing the Icing Colors in a cool, dry place. If your Icing Colors seem a bit dry, you may add a drop or 2 of glycerin to bring them back to life."
Hope this helps.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #4 of 5

remember to NEVER double dip you toothpicks. icing in the coloring will ruin it. if it gets dry you can add glycerine to it. stir it really well..and presto..all new and ready to use.

if the color starts to seperate, into the garbage it goes.. or if you add glycerine and it does rejuvinate it..into the garbage with it.

HTH some.

bakermom3107 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 5

THANK YOU both SO much!!!! I really appreciate you help icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%