is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

47 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 48

nothing...unfortunately. wish i was.
what exciting things are you doing tonight?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 48

I just got back from Pilobolus (modern dane) and am now decorating a four tier wedding cake that I base iced earlier.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 48

No orders, but I am working with IMBC. Love it btw.

I'm also going to try icing the cake using the Upside down method. Pretty excited. Just waiting for my buttercream to warm up so I can work with it.

aundrea Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #5 of 48

well hopefully the wedding isnt on the east coast (dont know where you are)
because its gonna rain all week-end.
how do you manage to deliver your cakes when its raining?
i ask because a few times when ive brought cake to parties and its raining- if i dont have someone holding an umbrella....i get wet spots and alittle damage. and this is only walking from my house to the car.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 48

I just finished my first topsy-turvy cake. I did it as a favor for a friend and it turned out pretty well (kept the angles subtle so it doesn't tip over). But I'm glad it's done. It stresses me out to do cakes for other people. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #7 of 48

Just a small wedding cake this weekend...in the freezer for tonight. Tomorrow I'll finish it and deliver it tomorrow night. Enjoying a slow weekend for a change.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 48

Just finished a three tier anniversary cake....used a stencil and airbrushed a light pearl-gold floral pattern around it...gold ribbon..and a few roses and gold dusted leaves and some misc. Looks very victorian.

Did cupcakes earlier.

Just have to figure out how to deliver this thing in pouring down rain tomorrow!!!!

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 48

I managed to bake my first true 2" inch layers. Now I'm just waiting for them to cool completely so I can wrap them up and go to bed. It's not all that exciting for you veterans but I'm pretty pumped to finally get the right amount of batter in the cake pan. I probably never would have if it weren't for all the info I've found on this site, so THANKS!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #10 of 48

I had four cakes this weekend, all done and sitting peacefully in my refrigerator waiting for pick up tomorrow. thumbs_up.gif
This week was an easy one, next week is another story.

leah_s Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #11 of 48

I'm in KY and I don't think it's supposed to pour rain here. I truly dislike delivering in the rain. It's about the only time I box for delivery. And it's still a two person job - one to carry one to hold the umbrella.

I just broke down - after 11 years of delivering unboxed - and ordered some of those specialty wedding cake boxes from Bakery Crafts. They should be here Tuesday. I'll let you know how they work out.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #12 of 48

We have flood watches and everything...gusty winds....pouring rain...YUCK.

aundrea Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #13 of 48

oh yes ive seen them before. really nice to have when raining or snow.
i only have to walk like 2 feet to my car and i hate that.
curious to hear how you like them.

leah_s Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #14 of 48

Kita, tell me more about airbrushing with a stencil. I'm not very good with the airbrush, as I tend to get it everywhere.

aundrea Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:11am
post #15 of 48

kitagirl- i hear what you are saying about the weather...good luck!
try to stay dry- and your cake too!

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Kita, tell me more about airbrushing with a stencil. I'm not very good with the airbrush, as I tend to get it everywhere.

Well its the first time I tried it LOL...I'm messy with the airbrush too but this one wasn't too hard.... I just did the fondant this afternoon and refrigerated the tiers so they would be nice and firm. Then pinned the stencil to the cake (down low, I was putting a base ribbon on to cover the holes anyway). The stencil rose above the cake top about a centimeter so that helped with overspray. Then just set my airbrush about 2/3 power and held it fairly close and then gently went over the stencil. When it dried a bit then I stacked the cake and did the ribbon.

I used gold pearl with just a bit of extra gold color (some ready made airbrush stuff I squirted a bit in) and used that, so it was a very gentle color, so any overspray would not be noticeable....I don't know if a dark color would have had the same effect. I'll post a pic tomorrow....

I told my husband that my kitchen is going to be sparkling for a week but it won't necessarily be from being clean. haha. I think I officially have a "gold pearl" kitchen. icon_lol.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #17 of 48

My friend is coming over tomorrow for a tasting. This will be my first wedding cake, and I'm glad its for a friend because I have no idea what to do. I never had a tasting for my own wedding cake, so everything I think I'm supposed to be doing is from what I've seen on Amazing Wedding cakes, haha.

I haven't done any caking at all for about a month, so I'm excited about doing it again. Instead of freezing my extra batter, I'm just baking it all up and I'll test out some ideas that are in my brain and give them to random people this weekend.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

My friend is coming over tomorrow for a tasting. This will be my first wedding cake, and I'm glad its for a friend because I have no idea what to do. I never had a tasting for my own wedding cake, so everything I think I'm supposed to be doing is from what I've seen on Amazing Wedding cakes, haha.

I haven't done any caking at all for about a month, so I'm excited about doing it again. Instead of freezing my extra batter, I'm just baking it all up and I'll test out some ideas that are in my brain and give them to random people this weekend.

When did all this tasting thing start anyway? It seems to be all the rage. I don't mind it until people start wanting tastings for a cake for 30 people. icon_confused.gif

leah_s Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:27am
post #19 of 48

I had someone who wanted a tasting for a 6" round cake.

Uhh, NO.

wackadoodles.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #20 of 48

Just a cake for my BF's birthday. Her request was pumpkin chocolate chip with chocolate FMBC. No decorating, just filling and covering in icing. icon_smile.gif My kitchen smells SOOO good!

aundrea Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #21 of 48

mmmmmmm pumpkin and chocolate chip together is awesome.
totally makes me think of fall, even though we are entering spring.
one of my favorite flavor combo's.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I had someone who wanted a tasting for a 6" round cake.

Uhh, NO.

wackadoodles.

Wow that's worse than this week, I have a lady wanting to do a tasting for a 20 serving birthday cake and a 40 serving wedding cake. Says she won't buy cake if its not good. icon_confused.gif I am charging her for a tasting though and she was okay with that.

Whats with all the finicky taste buds lately? I mean yeah I know its nice to have a good cake but whenever I"m shopping around for a service, I look for someone with a good reputation and testimonials and very dependable...and then I go with that. I don't call and ask for samples of everything first. haha.

"Paul Mitchell, could I get a sample of each of your hair care products before I buy one?"

"Godiva, I don't know if you make good chocolate...could I get one of each of your ten flavors so I can decide?" (By the way never buy a dipped strawberry at Godiva. They cost $7 EACH! I'm like, hey, God made more of that treat than you did! LOL)

"Red Lobster..could I just taste a little bit off your menu and if I decide I like it, then I'll sit down at a table and buy a meal?"

I realize wedding tastings are fine but geez....

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:39am
post #23 of 48

defrosting the rv cake in my freezer to make cake balls. and tomorrow i have to make a choc mud cake for my monday night class

DefyGravity Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #24 of 48

In December I had a "cake tasting party" at my house. I had thought up about 7 new recipes and I wanted to try them. All of them. Right then. So, about 10 people came over and they all ate some cake with the stipulation that they had to sing for their cake supper and give me honest criticism (and yes, there was one that was such a disaster I cringe every time I see a picture of it, haha) Even though it was sort of a tasting, we played cake games and it was really laid back and fun.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do tomorrow, though. "This is X cake with a Y filling" and then sit there awkwardly while they discuss if they like it or not?

Also, Kitagrl, do you have pictures of the airbrushed cake?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:49am
post #25 of 48

I had an interesting time trying to find the canned pumpkin for the pumpkin chocolate chip cake - not quite the season for it!!! But she's worth it - and it's one of her faves.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #26 of 48

I gotta take a nice pic tomorrow in daylight when I set it up...I can go take a pic in the fridge real quick to post in the thread...hold on...

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:59am
post #27 of 48

Okay here is a picture of it in my fridge. icon_smile.gif Its going to go on a decorative gold-ish stand so hopefully the presentation will be really nice tomorrow, right now it looks like it needs more flowers but I wanted it not to be too busy.

At least this way you can see what I mean by airbrushed stencil...I do think this one was much easier than the black royal icing stencils I did last month! haha.
LL

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:03am
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I had an interesting time trying to find the canned pumpkin for the pumpkin chocolate chip cake - not quite the season for it!!! But she's worth it - and it's one of her faves.

Most stores usually have it with the pie filling in the baking aisle....I love making pumpkin cake! I use it for tastings and stuff sometimes, esp when the brides are looking ahead for fall flavors!

DefyGravity Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #29 of 48

WOW! It looks gorgeous!

aundrea Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:09am
post #30 of 48

wow kitagirl! my mouth just dropped to the floor. that cake is amazing!!
love the suttle gold color.
was that just regular stencil you put over to airbrush? or was it specially made for cakes?
even more of a reason to get an airbrush machine. IMO i would rather invest in airbrush then cricut.
your roses are stunning.
thanks for sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%