Question About Making Cake Layers......?

Decorating By min5779 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 3:09am by Sweet_Guys

min5779 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
min5779 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone, I am trying to teach myself (with a lot of help from CC) how to make cakes...... I would like to know some basics.... for example: How many layers do people like to use on their, and the height of the layers? I've heard many people freeze their cakes, do you freeze the layers after you've cut them or whole as they come out of the pan? I hope these aren't silly questions, but I figured if I'd like some answers here is the place to get them....lol..... Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 14

Hi! Welcome to CC. I think most people like two layers cake, and the standard height is 2'', of course this varies on the design you will like to make. About freezing the cakes, personally I don't do it; I usually bake the same day.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 14

My layers are usually 2 inches. I bake/torte/freeze in one day and then ice/fondant the next. Frozen cakes seem to stay more moist and are easier if you need to carve it into a shape. I wrap each layer, stack and wrap them together one more time then freeze. I bake in 3 or 4 inch pans so I usually divide the cake into two layers. I do have a few 2 inch pans and for those I simply bake two of them, level them and then freeze them. HTH

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #4 of 14

Welcome! I live in a townhouse and space is at a premium. To reduce the amount of pans I have around, I overfill a 3" pan and torte that to get 2 layers. Plus there's less pans to clean...yeah boy! icon_cool.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 14

I do a four layer cake, I make 2'' cake layers and then torte them and layer them for 4 layers. I like the way it looks! icon_razz.gif I do freeze my cakes almost every time I make them I just freeze them after they cool and then take them out of the freezer when I need them and thaw and torte! You can do it either way though, I think it's just personal preference! Welcome to CC!

min5779 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
min5779 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you guys for getting back to me.....you all have been very helpful.... sometimes I feel like I'm not doing things the "right" way because I've never been trained. It's very reassuring to hear what others do icon_smile.gif Thanks again!!

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 14

min- part of the fun is figuring things out by trial and error! and CC is AMAZING about sharing what does and doesn't work and why! A lot of cakers on this site haven't been trained either, we're learning too! :]

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 14

I too bake two 2-inch cakes, freeze at least 1 day, thaw, torte, and fill so there are 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of icing. I am a firm believer that freezing freshly baked cakes makes them moister and tastier. I've done taste tests wtih my family and friends for the exact same recipes, 1 baked fresh that day and 1 baked and frozen a day or 2 before, and always, always, always the favorite is the previously frozen cake.

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 14

tootie- I totally agree!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 14

tier height = approx 4" for most cakes, some specialty cakes are closer to 6"
either 2 or 3 layers of cake, depending on what kind of cake I'm making
I only freeze layers if I have to make a whole lot or am really busy, otherwise, I prefer to bake, ice, and decorate over 1 or 2 days total. If I do freeze, I freeze the layers whole. If I'm going to torte, I do that while it's still frozen.

JaeRodriguez Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #11 of 14

I do the same thing prterrell does!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #12 of 14

I always make 2 - 2" cake layers. let cool, wrap and freeze overnight. When I remove them from the freezer I torte each layer while still frozen then allow them to thaw. When assembled I have 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling or icing. I love the look and like to have more icing and filling in my cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #13 of 14

I really have nothing new to add to the great advice you've already been given, but just wanted to give a big WELCOME TO CC greeting to you! I'm also one of the self-taught and agree with Jae ... half the fun is trying new things and figuring it out as you go! This is the best resource for all things cake, so when you run into a problem, pop on back! thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #14 of 14

Welcome to CC!!! Always glad to have new people join us crazy sugar addicts!!!

We bake on Wednesdays or Thursdays, cool, wrap, and refrigerate overnight. We then crown & torte the cakes and fill with either buttercream filling or fruit-flavored fillings and let sit overnight in the refrigerator to settle. Then the next day we buttercream & fondant and decorate.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%