Fondant Ribbons

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm by Bluehue

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:14am
post #1 of 5

What is the secret to getting great looking fondant ribbons? I always get creases in mine. I've tried rolling the ribbon up and then rolling around the base of the cake like I see on t.v. but it just doesn't work...any suggestions?

4 replies
kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:42am
post #2 of 5

I would love to know!!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:45am
post #3 of 5

Once you have rolled your Fondant out and then cut the ribbon shape out - are you letting it *sit* for a few minutes on your work bench so as to let it firm up?
By doing that - it will keep its shape so as when you roll it up and then take it around your cake - it will not sag or loose its shape.

Are you also painting a very thin coat of sugar syrup onto the base of your cake first - soas your fondant ribbon will stay in place?

I am thinking that you are putting a fondant ribbon onto a fondant covered cake - yes?

Bluehue.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 5

bluehue wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Once you have rolled your Fondant out and then cut the ribbon shape out - are you letting it *sit* for a few minutes on your work bench so as to let it firm up?
By doing that - it will keep its shape so as when you roll it up and then take it around your cake - it will not sag or loose its shape.

I have always tried to immediately apply the ribbon to the cake after cutting. I have never let it sit and "firm up". That makes so much sense! I will definitely do that the next time I'm working on a cake with fondant ribbons. Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:

Are you also painting a very thin coat of sugar syrup onto the base of your cake first - soas your fondant ribbon will stay in place?

Does this work for both fondant covered cakes as well as those frosted with buttercream? I would think the buttercream would smear or something.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

[quote="pastryqueen9"]bluehue wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I have always tried to immediately apply the ribbon to the cake after cutting. I have never let it sit and "firm up". That makes so much sense! I will definitely do that the next time I'm working on a cake with fondant ribbons. Thanks!
Your welcome

Quote:
Quote:

Does this work for both fondant covered cakes as well as those frosted with buttercream? I would think the buttercream would smear or something
No, it only works for Fondant covered cakes..[/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%