In Over My Head

Decorating By _beckett_ Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm by TexasSugar

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 7

I am makin a bridal shower ck for a friend and it needs to feed 30 so I am stacking 2 round cakes and want to use wiltons buttercream icing, the kind u get at a craft store. Any tips on how to stack? Dowels or cardboard, or both? And wouldn't the icing on top of the bottom cake just be on the bottom of the cardboard?

6 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

While you are purchasing your Wilton icing take a look at some of the Wilton books it gives great instructions on how to stack, use dowels, etc. You can also go to the Wilton website as they have a lot of info with photos also.

edited to add: You can also go check the internet and there are a ton of tutorials on icing cakes, stacking and all of that.

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 7

It's not fondant, that's the problem. I will check out the Wilton site tho! Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

I corrected my post when I saw that I had typed fondant. Wilton books also have tons of info on buttercream and that's what I meant to type.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 7

If your frosting is crusted, then it won't stick to the board. You'll need to use both dowels and cardboard. Don't pull a Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee!

I know a lot of people here swear by the SPS system for stacking. You can find those supplies on Global Sugar Art.

Good luck! I've stacked a couple cakes just for fun and to try and now I wish I could stack every cake!

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 7

Welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

Edna has some great tutorials on YouTube. This one shows how she stacks her cakes.....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 7

Are you stacking two 8in cakes on top of each other or two tiers (4ins of cake or more) on top of each other?

If you are just stacking two 8in cake layers on top of each other you don't need to dowel. It is when you are going over 4ins and putting more cake layers on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%