First Wedding Cake

Decorating By Diesel Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm by Diesel

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hello.
I'm going to be doing my first wedding cake for 80 people. I have looked over several serving charts but I'm still struggling with what size round pans to use. She would like 3 tiers and I'm thinking the top tier really should be a 6". Any suggestions for the combination? 12", 10", 6" would that look funny?

Help! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

This link will show you how to gauge what size cakes you need to serve 80 guests.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Bluehue

Diesel Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 9

Yes, I have looked here and the 10 - 8 - 6 won't work for 80 and it seems like a 12 - 10 - 8 would look funny with an 8" for the top layer. Would 12 - 10 -6 look funny?

Sykesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sykesgirl Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 9

You can always do the 12-10-8-6 and make the 6 a dummy cake so that it will not look funny. When they get ready to cut the cake they can just remove it.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #5 of 9

Did they not want the anniversary tier? Normally, you wouldn't count those servings.

Diesel Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 9

Oh this whole situation is really funny! The bride is the sister of a friend of mine and really didn't even want to have a wedding. So my friend has basically thrown this all together for her sister who in her words is "hands off". So, to answer the question about the anniversary tier, nope, she doesn't care about that icon_smile.gif

So, maybe I'll do the 4 tier suggestion with the 6" dummy on top or maybe do a 12-9-6. If I do that, I have to go out and buy the 9" pan. Oh well, can never have too many pans!

Thanks!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel

Yes, I have looked here and the 10 - 8 - 6 won't work for 80 and it seems like a 12 - 10 - 8 would look funny with an 8" for the top layer. Would 12 - 10 -6 look funny?

I always stack my pans to get a visual when it comes to gauging how it will look stacked. That might help.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 9

10/12/8 would not look funny in my opinion. You could do a floral arrangement on the top to break up the big space on top of the 8". Flowers are SUPER easy.

Diesel Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 9

Well, I'm still waiting to hear on the topper part. She wants an all black and white cake, which I'm okay with but hasn't said anything about a topper. I would actuall like to do white flowers for a topper so if I get the go ahead then I agree, the 12/10/8 would look fine.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%