Billy"s Vanilla Vanilla

Baking By lilthorner Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm by tiggy2

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 10

I normally use this recipe for my vanilla cupcakes and bake at 325 like it says to do, no matter what I do, the bottom of my cupcakes is always brown. I rotate, I have double the papers in the pan which I thought helped once I did it on accident, but when I did it on purpose it didn't really make a difference..

if the cupcakes aren't done they will sink in the middle and be slightly gummy on top (ask me how I know) but when they are done, then are usually brown on the bottom..

any tips on how I can avoid this? or even if there is a better recipe than billy's vanilla vanilla for me to try.

thanks!

9 replies
kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 10

aren't light colored cupcakes always going to be brown on the bottom? I use the same recipe but I bake all my cupcakes at 350 and use grease proof cupcake wrappers the zebra print ones in my picture are billy's. Maybe if you bake them at a higher temp the top will cook faster so then the bottom might not get as brown. I always watch my cupcakes closely and I think I only bake mine for like 18 minutes just when the top looks dry I take them out even if there is some crumb on my tooth pick when I check them I take them out so they don't over bake.
hth

lilthorner Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 10

cupcakes at the store aint brown! LOL I'll try baking them at 350.. mine end up baking longer than 18 whihc is what I start out at, but I take them out soon as the top looks dry..

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10

Okay- I'm taking stab into thin air...but I would try doubling up on the cupcake pan (stacking one on top of the other) then baking.

I'm interested in knowing if you find a solution, as I have the same problem.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 10

lol, thats funny!! niether are their sugar cookies!! but that is probably why they taste so artificial, jk I don't have any idea. I wouldn't worry about it so much, just use a liner that won't show it, so that way you can't see it, lol. But I know what you mean I want my cupcakes to look perfect, bake it pretty dot com has really cute grease proof cupcake papers and foil papers. Let me know if you figure something out!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 10

what about using a water bath...........put your cc pan on a sheet pan and pour some water into the sheet pan so the bottoms of the cupcake pan are submerged in water, allowing them to cook slower and gentler!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 10

Is your pan shiny silver or dark? A dark pan will brown considerably more in the same amount of cooking time.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 10

Bake them at a lower temp 325 & put them on the top rack closer to the top of the oven. Remember each oven's temp is different try checking your oven's temp.....Most bakeries have convection ovens thus no browing on the bottom....

lilthorner Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10

my pan is shiny..

I already bake them at 325.. my oven temp is correct.. I have done all the obvious things which I decided to ask..

thanks for the suggestions!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 10

Have you checked your oven temp with a oven thermomoter? Could be it's cooking hot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%