Can You Really Tell Quality Of Ingredients?

Decorating By Sumkat Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 1:17am by prterrell

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:00pm
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

The only thing worse that a cupboard of old spices... an empty spice rack! I was recently trying to make dinner at *someone's* house for them, and I just stood there blinking dumbfoundedly at the fact that all they had was some off brand vanilla, black pepper, and LOW SODIUM salt!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Who can possibly cook like that? And what the HECK is low sodium salt?? Um... hellooooo?

newmansmom2004, what you did was a PUBLIC SERVICE! hahaha! To everyone that ever eats at her house!! God bless your mom, at least you were nice enough to replace the stuff! thumbs_up.gif

The funny thing is that nobody in my family ever objects to anything she makes for family dinners and such because she really is a good cook, but I have to wonder if everyone back home has lost all sense of what really flavorful food tastes like! She was always a good cook while I was growing up but, for the life of me, how does a person NOT replace spices after that long??? I've no doubt she'll be much more diligent about replacing them now! LOL!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #32 of 62

Oh, I know what you mean newmansmom!! I often wonder if my *friend* thinks that my cooking is just too overpowering, but they seem to genuinely like everything I make. But their food is always so bland. It's like, if you like my food so much, BUY SOME SPICES!!! Hehehe. icon_rolleyes.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Oh, I know what you mean newmansmom!! I often wonder if my *friend* thinks that my cooking is just too overpowering, but they seem to genuinely like everything I make. But their food is always so bland. It's like, if you like my food so much, BUY SOME SPICES!!! Hehehe. icon_rolleyes.gif

'xactly!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I'm embarrassed to say that I reached for some cornstarch last month (I hardly ever use it) and looked at the expiration date. It said use before January 10, 1985. That single box of cornstarch moved with us twice! I'm glad to say that's the only thing in the kitchen that was almost as old as my daughter! Yikes! But in the great scheme of things...does cornstarch ever really go bad? I don't feel I poisoned anyone the few times that I used it. I believe the last time was 3 years ago. icon_redface.gif

That's great! icon_lol.gif

Sumkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumkat Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #35 of 62

kims_cakes:
do you also use vodka to make your homemade vanilla? I have heard of using rum. Do you also use that many (30) vanilla beans? And where do you buy your cheap beans online?

Has anyone every tried making/using vanilla sugar?

And thanks to everyone for your input. It's been very educational icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #36 of 62

I am not kim -but yes, a fifth of vodka, and 30 vanilla beans (split and cut into 1/3's) stuffed into the vodka. Shake it every other day or so. Let stand for 4 weeks before using. You can get the beans on ebay.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I have to tell a funny story. I was home for Thanksgiving a couple years ago and while there I was looking for a spice in my mom's kitchen. I started to notice that a lot of the boxes and bottles looked strangely familiar. I pulled several of them out to discover that most of them were the same bottles of spice that were there when I lived at home...over 25 years ago!!! I decided her cabinet needed a good cleaning out so I pulled everything out and there were some old McCormick bottles of food coloring and flavoring that had the dates stamped on the bottom and some were from the 1960's and had either solidified or simply evaporated! We nearly died laughing. She was still using some of those nasty old flavorless spices! I threw everything out and when I got back home to Texas I quickly placed an order for replacement spices and replenished her entire spice collection.

Can you imagine eating a lasagna with dried oregano and basil from 1975 or a pumpkin spice cake with old, flavorless cinnamon and nutmeg from 1978??? icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

When I was growing up it was poultry seasoning. The only time my mom ever used a teaspoon of it was in the Thanksgiving stuffing so she used the same can for I think at least 25 years!

newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #38 of 62

Oh yeah - poultry seasoning. I've been guilty of that one.

Someone asked about vanilla sugar. I've made it but honestly I couldn't tell much difference. I put a vanilla bean in a glass container with about 2 cups of sugar in it, put a nice tight lid on it and let it hang out for a few weeks. When I opened it I could smell the vanilla but it wasn't very strong so I could have had an old worn-out bean that wasn't fresh. I really couldn't taste it in the sugar and I haven't tried it since.

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #39 of 62

I started buying vanilla beans online a few years ago because it's so reasonable and everyone told me how amazing home made extract is, so I HAD to make it. They said to use a cheap bottle of vodka to make it... no reason to waste the good stuff. Guess what? The vanilla extract taste like cheap vodka with a vanilla bean floating in it. I used a fifth of vodka and 30-40 beans cuz I like it strong. Handled it exactly the way you're supposed to, shaking once a week or so. Keep it in a dark cupboard, etc. Every time I use it, it just tastes like I poured cheap, nasty vodka into whatever I'm making. I can't get away from that taste. So, for me it's just not 'the bomb'. I still use vanilla beans for things, but I have pretty much a whole fifth of home made vanilla that just sits there. Mocking me. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #40 of 62

Sumkat I use about 5 beans to 2 cups of vodka. I heat the vodka first then add the beans. I let it soak for about 8 weeks before I use it. I've bought the beans different places on line. I just googled it and read reviews. Good luck!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumkat

I'm wondering what others think on this topic. Can you really tell a difference when you use expensive ingredients in your baking vs. super market ingredients? Does it really make a difference to use farm fresh eggs, imported butter, expensive chocolate and extracts vs. what you buy in the grocery store? If you think there is a difference I'd like to hear about it and if you have a product you use and swear by what is it?

I can tell the difference when using name brand/expensive (quality) vs store brand. I think that you get what you put into a baked good. I agree with Kita, though, in that I will use Ghirdelli Chocolate in my ganaches because I like the flavor and the ganache it yields. I guess it also depends on your palate....I don't give anything to anyone that I wouldn't eat. If it meets my standards for flavor and texture and I think that the recipient will like it then I use the product.

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:37pm
post #42 of 62

I have been making homemade Vanilla for years. The key is to use a good quality vodka that has been distilled(filtered) several times. I buy the good stuff when it is on sale. It makes a world of difference.

I also buy by beans on e-bay. I also use them 3 times. I split/scrape them for cooking, add them to the sugar for a few weeks, then put them in the vodka for extra flavoring. HTH icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #43 of 62

Also depends on what you can get at your grocery store. You can find some premium ingredients in Publix and Kroger that you won't find at Wal-mart or Food Lion, for example.

When it comes to chocolate, I use Ghirardelli (which I can get at the groc store) and Scharffenberger (which I get at Williams-Sonoma). It depends on the application which one I'm going to use.

For other ingredients, sometimes you can find premium at bargain prices. There's a farmers market near Atlanta (Dekalb Farmer's Market, for those of you in the area) where you can get really great spices, herbs, extracts and organic dried fruits for really good prices (a cup of fresh ground cinnamon for 35 cents for example).

prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #44 of 62

I don't understand how people have spices and herbs around long enough to expire! We have a huge drawer full (so full that we've had to resort to storing some in a cabinet in addition to the drawer) and pretty much every time we go to the store we have to replace something because we've used it up! (And that's even with buying stuff in bulk as mentioned in my PP).

Maybe it's because both DH and I cook and we do pretty much everything from scratch? (DH has even started making mayo of late, and OMG is it the best stuff ever!)

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #45 of 62

Melvira - you need to use GOOD vodka, not the cheap stuff. Also, the longer it sets, the better it is. It actually "ages" - the newly made stuff isn't nearly as good as the vanilla that is several months old. I now keep 3 on hand, one aging, one new, and one I am using. If made properly, it is the BOMB! thumbs_up.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:25pm
post #46 of 62

i say, BIG difference between a good branded chocolate over a generic chocolate..so i splurge on that icon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #47 of 62

So, where do you go to find good chocolate? Someone mentioned Williams-Sonoma, and we do have that, but anywhere else, and what are good chocolates to use (I've heard of Callebaut, but never seen it, tried ganache made with Ghiradelli chips, but wasn't really impressed)?

I remember wanting to get some good chocolate for a fondue or something I was doing, but when I melted it, it seized. I think there must've been some sort of filling in it that I didn't realize was there, and that the filling wasn't compatible with melting into the chocolate.

I don't know if it's just that I don't know about the good places to get things, but it really seems like there's not nearly as much in the way of specialty shops here than I see are available to, say, the chefs on Food Network shows. Ina Garten goes to cheese shops and butchers where the people who work there really know about what they're selling and have great recommendations... the only dedicated butchers here, that I've seen, anyways, are the Carnicerias (and most of those are located in areas of town that are rundown and high in crime, so I don't know that I'd be brave enough to go there on my own), and I know of no dedicated cheese shop.

Melvira Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #48 of 62

Yah this vanilla is plenty aged because I just won't use it. It's gross. I guess I'll try making some with good vodka and see if it's any better, but I hate to waste the booze! Hahahhaha!

prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #49 of 62

Sagebrush - did you just melt the chocolate by itself or mix it with heavy cream and liqueur? To make chocolate fondue, you have to do more than just melt the chocolate itself, it needs the added fat from the cream and the liqueur adds a nice depth of flavor.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #50 of 62

Try:
www.chocoley.com it can be ordered online or via phone 866-528-5252
Great product & easy to use.

www.customchocolateshop.com (Merckens) also a great product can be ordered online or found in most cake shops.

www.auiswiss.com (Albert Uster - Des Alpes Chocolate) Again great stuff and can be ordered online.

Lastly Callebaut Chocolate is my favorite but it is difficult to find I purchase it at Resturant Depot.

On Vanilla Sugar - I leave my split beans in the sugar rotating containers (I have 2) so that the one is gain flavor while I am using the other.

On Mom's cupboard - mines no different... mom's of the 60's had parents that grew up in the depression and back then they couldn't afford spices nor was there the variety or knowledge that we have today.. Today my 15 yr old is a foodie and can tell you everything you want to know about any food...& I think she doesn't listen!!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I agree with most of the above....any product that plays a "supporting role" is not that important. (eggs, sourcream, milk, those all taste the same - just make sure they are fresh) IMO the important things are the vanilla, and the chocolate - things that make a difference and are important aspects of the end product.

I have started making my own vanilla for that reason......a fifth of good vodka, 30 (yes, thirty) vanilla beans and time = DELICIOUS!!!

I read about this in a Southern cookbook, but I heard u use bourbon...and a leftover bean...not sure if I'll ever try it but I do love homemade things such as this...

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Oh please! I can top any of those! Hubby bought me an antique spice rack for Christmas about 10 years ago. Complete with spices still in the jars. Antique. As in made in the 1800's or so!!!

As we are downsizing, I said that I didn't want the rack ... I've no place to put it. He asked if I wanted the jars. I said if I don't have the rack, why would I want jars sitting around?

he said, .... yeah, you guessed it......

"Can't you still use the spices that are in them?" dunce.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHa men. oh thats classic.

I blame my age and naivety but I used to wonder why my years-old spices did NOTHING to flavor anything. Started using fresh (as in non-dried) and oh, duh, problem solved. As for dried I LOVE Trader Joes, they have a good selection and every one is $1!

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I don't understand how people have spices and herbs around long enough to expire! We have a huge drawer full (so full that we've had to resort to storing some in a cabinet in addition to the drawer) and pretty much every time we go to the store we have to replace something because we've used it up! (And that's even with buying stuff in bulk as mentioned in my PP).

Maybe it's because both DH and I cook and we do pretty much everything from scratch? (DH has even started making mayo of late, and OMG is it the best stuff ever!)

Hahahaha my DH tried that with his roommates when he was much younger...he said it tasted terrible! you'll have to get your hubby to share his recipe! I'm sure my DH would appreciate it, he dislikes the Trader Joe's one, I LOVE it!

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

So, where do you go to find good chocolate? Someone mentioned Williams-Sonoma, and we do have that, but anywhere else, and what are good chocolates to use (I've heard of Callebaut, but never seen it, tried ganache made with Ghiradelli chips, but wasn't really impressed)?

I remember wanting to get some good chocolate for a fondue or something I was doing, but when I melted it, it seized. I think there must've been some sort of filling in it that I didn't realize was there, and that the filling wasn't compatible with melting into the chocolate.

I don't know if it's just that I don't know about the good places to get things, but it really seems like there's not nearly as much in the way of specialty shops here than I see are available to, say, the chefs on Food Network shows. Ina Garten goes to cheese shops and butchers where the people who work there really know about what they're selling and have great recommendations... the only dedicated butchers here, that I've seen, anyways, are the Carnicerias (and most of those are located in areas of town that are rundown and high in crime, so I don't know that I'd be brave enough to go there on my own), and I know of no dedicated cheese shop.

http://chefshop.com/ for my Valhrona ...there's another that sells truly bulk...forgot that one...

I'm lucky to have a Major Market in town, can get Shraffron Berger choc and Nielson Massey right in the baking aisle, along with like 50 diff types of extracts from Golden Gate Imports!!! thumbs_up.gif

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #55 of 62

I really want to try making my own vanilla. I don't know anything about what brands of vodka are good. Any suggestions. (Why did I think vanilla is made with Tequilla- is Mexican vanilla made that way?) Also, a good friend is leaving tomorrow and going to India on spring break. Might sound really dumb, but India=spice trade, right? At least I think I remember that from history class. What should I tell her to look for in a vanilla bean? Or is there really any difference? This sounds like such a fun little expirement. I would have never ever thought to MAKE vanilla. Lovin' cake central and all of you right now.

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #56 of 62

tavy - yes, you can use bourbon too - I just prefer vodka since it is clear to start out with, I can tell how dark my vanilla is. Vodka and Gin both are more of a "neutral" flavor - bourbon isn't' neutral - it has distinct flavors.

Felicat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Felicat Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #57 of 62

Hi, I saw this and had to respond. I've been ordering bulk chocolate from these guys http://www.gourmail.com/ for close to 20 years. (Wow! I can't believe I'm old enough to say that. icon_surprised.gif ) They carry Callebaut, Valrhona and others. But you really have to be make a LOT of chocolate anything to justify buying blocks this large. I do truffles for the holidays usually and am always happy with what I get.
I think ingredients really do matter it may not be something that you'd notice right away but for me it's usually when I'm cutting corners and that someone will notice and say something.

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylikescake

I really want to try making my own vanilla. I don't know anything about what brands of vodka are good. Any suggestions. (Why did I think vanilla is made with Tequilla- is Mexican vanilla made that way?) Also, a good friend is leaving tomorrow and going to India on spring break. Might sound really dumb, but India=spice trade, right? At least I think I remember that from history class. What should I tell her to look for in a vanilla bean? Or is there really any difference? This sounds like such a fun little expirement. I would have never ever thought to MAKE vanilla. Lovin' cake central and all of you right now.

HAhahaha I'm sorry, thats so cute its hilarious! I'm honestly laughing in the most loving and non-condescending way!!! Mexi vanilla is made from a bean grown in Mexico..the alcohol used does not have to do with its name.

Another adorable story about my SIL: she is a non-drinker..and had to find a "dry wine" for her recipe. She was in the baking aisle and an employee asked if she needed help and promptly showed her a dry red. So cute, I was dying when I heard this...I'm not a wino, I just cook a lot icon_wink.gif

tavyheather Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:22pm
post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylikescake

ok, done giggling...anyway you should tell her Madagascar is the highest prized for its flavor, stay away from Tahitian, it's a completely different flavor and is usually used in perfumes...thats all I know, am I even correct? please correct me if I'm wrong! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #60 of 62

They are both fine for making vanilla - I have used both and can't really tell a difference. (not a refined enough palatte maybe??) Some say one has more "bouquet" = smell ~ but again, they are both good.....and so is the mexican beans. I think the first two brands are a little stronger, but that is just my opinion! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%