Questions For Wedding Cake Guru's. I'm At A Loss...

Decorating By amyh1 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm by Bettycrockermommy

amyh1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyh1 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 22

Hi there! I think this is only my second post and I am going to try to be better about that. I'm on here daily and have found this community to be sooo helpful.

Okay, so I have my first "real" wedding cake order. I've had an ongoing joke that I only do 2nd weddings and beyond. icon_wink.gif I decided to take this one on because the lady promised she would be super easy. I have plenty of skill, but have never wanted to deal with the hassle of brides.

So here is what she has ended up asking for. She wants a three tier square cake. 12", 10" & 8". She has the monogram toppers already and they are silver with a couple of diamonds at the top. Around the bottom of each tier she wants ribbon alternating in mango & turquoise. Okay, check I got all that and no problem. Next she wants a bouquet of wild flowers to match the said colors above and a florist is working on that. She wants them attached to the front of the cake between the second tier and top tier. Then she tells me she wants to "bling" it out. Repeatedly she says that she is a hair dresser and wants something funky. Also, the cake she sort of likes has pearls on the middle tier but nothing on the top & bottom and that is where she wants the funky to come in.

Seriously, I'm a a loss! I don't want my first wedding cake to be hideous, but I want her to be happy too. Any ideas??? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

21 replies
hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #2 of 22

The only thing I can think of is that she has seen a picture and is envisioning that in her head. Maybe you can ask if she can send you an example of what exactly she wants.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 22

How about putting a brooch on each of the ribbons for some added bling?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:37am
post #4 of 22

Have her go online and send you photos of cakes she admires and why she admires them. THEN sketch out 5 cakes that you think may work for what she is going for and then let her see them. In the end you two will be able to come up with what she is looking for...or at least a beginning of understanding what she is talking about.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyh1 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks ladies!

She did send me pictures of what she wants "sort of" already. Let me see if I can attach them, as I'm new at this. I like the idea of adding the bling to the ribbon instead of on the cake. Then I don't have to go the edible route.

Btw, both of these cake are beautiful, but she wants a combination of both and then wants me to make it funky. She at one point wanted the gumpaste flowers all over it, plus the wild flower bouquet. I told her I didn't think it would look good. But maybe I'm wrong???
LL

amyh1 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 22

The other cake.
LL

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 22

Here's a suggestion based on the pics that you uploaded:

Take the square tiers and line up the back corner so that you have a little more room on each tier to work with. Attach said bouquet of flowers to drape over the second tier (like what's in the 2nd pic you attached). Wrap all three tiers in ribbon and attach a rhinestone broach to the ribbon on the tip and bottom tiers. This will give you some bling, and incorporate all the elements she seems to want without it being too much.

Hope this makes sense. icon_smile.gif

amyh1 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 22

That is a fantastic idea! I love that I will have more room on the front to attach the flowers too. Thank you! Now, do you know where I can purchase the broches? Are they something I can find at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or are the best ordered from somewhere?

aggiechef Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 22

You should be able to get them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, but you can also find pretty ones at antique stores.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 22

I love aggiechef's suggestions!! You can do this and the cake will be beautiful!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 22

I love this idea too! There should be lots of "funky" and "blingy" broaches that will be beautiful and make the bride happy.

tonedna Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 22

Ypu can find gorgeous broaches in Department stores, but you can send the bride to
hunt for them too. That way you make sure she buys what she likes.
For example this bride wanted fabric ribbon and a bow and she brought the broach to be added on top.
Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

aggiechef Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I love aggiechef's suggestions!! You can do this and the cake will be beautiful!

Thanks....

BTW - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your avatar pic... thumbs_up.gif

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #15 of 22

Ooh yeah! You sure know how to pick 'em Bettycrockermommy!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 22

Just wanted to add that sometimes I've seen fancy buttons in the sewing section that look like brooches too! And earrings that are huge lol might be some alternatives if you can't find a brooch to suit your needs.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I just love David Boreanaz! Can;t wait for Bones to come back on April 1st!!

amyh1 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 22

This is all so helpful. Thank you ladies!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I just love David Boreanaz! Can;t wait for Bones to come back on April 1st!!

Loved him in Bones and Angel

tonedna Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah...he can be my Angel any day!.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

aggiechef Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 22

I'm with Edna... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah...he can be my Angel any day!.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Mine too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%