How Do I Tie A Satin Bow Around A Cake

Decorating By Mrspolkadot Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm by Baker_Rose

Mrspolkadot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrspolkadot Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone

Im pretty new to the forum, Im a hobbyist and am doing my wedding cake for next monday. Ive bought a length of ribbon and a brooch and have been practicing on a dummy-but with no joy. My bow looks very bulky. Is there a step by step around to help please?

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 13

you're not going to actually tie the ribbon around the cake into a bow. It's an optical illusion. You would wrap the ribbon around the cake and secure it to itself so it stays in place. Then attach an already formed bow to cover up the ends of the ribbon.

Hope that Helps

Mrspolkadot Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 13

I thought that was the case, can you give me some more information please? I cant get my head around folding the bow, and then securing it and the brooch to the band on the cake.

And thank you for taking the time to answer my question, it really is appreciated.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 13

This may not be the exact same bow you are talking about, but it gives some good pointers:

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-ribbon-bow

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 13

hi all did you see the 3D knitting needle cake, i get the base, brick mat, twisted fondant around edge and needles, but the yarn, rice crispies?

Mrspolkadot Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you, that tutorial is very helpful regarding the band. Not quite the look Im after on the bow but I'm going to try and improvise.

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 13

are you physically having trouble tying the bow itself??

If so, I find the best way when tying ribbon is to tie it like you would your shoes when you're 5 "BUNNY EARS!" lol

I don't tie my shoes using that method, but I saw Martha stewart tie a bow that way and she said when you do it that way your ends come out more even in length (I always recut once the bow is tied anyhow though) so I've just adopted that way.

Make a loop in each hand and then tie them to eachother.

Maybe this will help.......the 2nd one down shows the technique I'm talking about

http://www.undertheinkfluence.com/?p=275

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 13

oh I just wanted to add to something I learned that was simply invaluable. After you cut the ends of your ribbon, take a lighter and just lightly burn the ends (not enough to color your ribbon burnt brown, just enough that you see the ends curl back slightly) It seals the ribbon ends preventing them from fraying!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 13

If you are placing a band of ribbon around a cake that has been iced in buttercream what can you do to the ribbon to keep the grease from soaking through the ribbon and looking tacky and terrible?

Mrspolkadot Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you. KHalstead that Tute is fab, thanks. Guess now its just the practiceicon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

If you are placing a band of ribbon around a cake that has been iced in buttercream what can you do to the ribbon to keep the grease from soaking through the ribbon and looking tacky and terrible?

You can do a few things, you can use clear packaging tape and line the back of the ribbon, making it grease proof (good for shear ribbons)

Or you can iron wax paper to the back (haven't tried it personally) evidentally it leaves the wax on the ribbon when you peel off the wax paper making the ribbon grease proof yet still pliable.

The one I use most often is: accept that the ribbon will get grease, and plan on it getting grease spots, and just grease it up beforehand w/ crisco, making the ribbon as dark as it will ever get and nice and even with the darker color, that way the frosting won't affect it.

I generally use satin ribbon on cakes, and it's very easy to just grease your fingers and run it along the back of the ribbon before placing it on the cake!

HTH

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you KHalstead for all of that info. I know it has been talked about many times on here but it's bits here and bits there and you gave me all of the options in one place. Thanks again!!!

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 13

To help prevent grease spots on the ribbon you can cut a ribbon of plain fondant and wrap around the cake, then wrap the ribbon on the fondant, just be sure the fondant is slightly smaller than the ribbon.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%