How Do I Smooth My Frosting

Decorating By mommy1624 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 12:51am by mommy1624

mommy1624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1624 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 7

I use the Wilton recipe for buttercream frosting, but can never get it perfectly smooth. When I get it close and then the cake sits it forms a crust that cracks if I try to move the cake.

Any tips? Any other recipes to try instead if it's my frosting?

6 replies
lucettaslegacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucettaslegacy Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 7

I've been using this recipe for years!!! Love it!!!

Buttercream Frosting
1 c. milk
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond
2 2/3 c. shortening
4 lbs. of powdered sugar

Dissolve salt in milk by beating. Add shortening and 2 lbs of powdered sugar. Mix until mostly combined. Add the rest of the powdered sugar. You may need to add a little more milk to get to your consistency.

After it has set up...usually just a few minutes, I always do the Viva paper towel trick and it works great!!!! Customers love the frosting!!!! The salt actually helps cut down the sweetness!!!

mommy1624 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 7

What's the Viva towel trick? I never heard of that and how does it smooth your frosting?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 7

For how to smooth your icing, I think the viva method and melvira method are in the article section.

It does take a lot of practice however you do it! But I. This case, with the cracking when you move the cake, it sounds like the problem is with your cake board not being thick enough, or a problem with supports. Possibly the cake itself is not strong enough for the weight of icing.
xx

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7

brincess is ccorrect - if if it is cracking when you move it, it isn't the frosting, it is the board not being strong enough. I personally use 1/2" foamcore board -covered with a foodsafe product. You get the foamcore at Michaels or HobbyLobby, etc.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 7

I agree, you need a stronger board. I use tiles, wood, mdf, foamcore... etc. Just make sure it's something that isn't going to flex. Also, if you use high ratio shortening in your icing it will be a little more elastic and less prone to cracking. But it can get expensive if you're baking for free.

mommy1624 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the advice!

I increased the strength of my board on the last cake I made and tried the smoothing techniques suggested and my cake came out BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so happy with how "professional" it looks compared to my amateur look up until now.

You are all wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

I didn't have a high density roller at home, but I remember that I have a Pampered Chef pastry roller, so I highly suggest that to anyone who has one. It has a wide and a narrow roller, so it can do different sizes. My cake has NEVER looked that smooth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%