Fondant On A Cake For 250 - Do-Able?

Decorating By DebbyJG Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm by DebbyJG

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 18

I'm going to be meeting with someone later this week who is looking to have a wedding cake for 250. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with suggesting a 16-14-12-10 in order to cover her guest count plus the top anniv tier. (I usually do slices bigger than "wedding slivers", but let me know if this sounds completely off to anyone - this is my first BIG wedding cake, more than for 150, so I'm not completely confident on my numbers.)

My main question is this: I've never done fondant on a cake bigger than 14 inches. And it was a stretch, literally. Is putting it on a 16 inch all but impossible for the home baker without the fondant/pasta roller machine? Because if so, I'll just tell her if she wants a cake that big, it will have to be done in just bc.

TIA!! icon_smile.gif

17 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 18

I have done a 18" with fondant. I rolled it on a vinyl mat and lifted the entire mat up to put it over the cake (vs. trying to get it on a rolling pin) It is absolutely doable!

DebbyJG Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 18

I guess I'm just a little scared about doing it. I've been using the Wilton mat, and it doesn't go that big, either. I forgot to add, she wants them to be square tiers, so there's the additional challenge of all the edges. I think maybe I might go get an 18 inch dummy cake and practice. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 18

You can get a piece of vinyl from joanns or walmart that you can cut to the size you need. (in the fabric section)

Where in Ohio are you?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 18

Definitely get the vinyl - it is a lifesaver! I have covered a full sheet (18x24x4) with it, so you can do it!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 18

My biggest fondant helper was the 2.50 I spent on a long PVC pipe at Home Depot. That sucker takes down the fondant in no time. Even if you haven't done huge cakes, you have the same basic skill set to apply. You can do it!

DebbyJG Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #7 of 18

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll have more questions pop up as I get closer to doing this cake.
Loucinda, I'm just down the road from you, actually -- Blacklick. Small world, eh? icon_smile.gif

DebbyJG Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:27am
post #8 of 18

Oh - and do you mean a cut of vinyl from the fabric section? I guess I've never had the need to look for vinyl there so I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it fabric backed, or just plain plastic?

Renaejrk Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #9 of 18

Yes, you get it in the fabric section or a fabric store - it is just plain clear vinyl & you can use either side. Actually, I have thought about marking mine on one side with permanent marker with measurements, and just not using that side to roll fondant on icon_smile.gif

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #10 of 18

Thanks you guys are the bomb on great ideals, will be doing them on my next cake.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:49am
post #11 of 18

ok I am a hobby caker, and my cake on my site with the face mask and a plethora of stuff on it has a 16 inch square which I tried to cover three times with fondant with the plastic tablecloth, and I finally gave up and used butter cream.....so maybe I stink on ice, but there ya are haha

Renaejrk Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 18

Madge - what problem did you have? Maybe we can help!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 18

Any time I do a square cake I do panels and cut off the excess then smooth the edges together.

DebbyJG Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #14 of 18

Ooh, that's not a bad idea either. That might get sharper corners...

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:12am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey

My biggest fondant helper was the 2.50 I spent on a long PVC pipe at Home Depot. That sucker takes down the fondant in no time. Even if you haven't done huge cakes, you have the same basic skill set to apply. You can do it!

I am slapping myself in the head..why didn't I think of that?! duh!! I was just at Lowes, too...and to think I almost spent 20 bucks on a dumb Wilton roller

DebbyJG Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:10pm
post #16 of 18

Ugh! You know, I was at Lowe's last night too, and completely forgot to get this as well! I've been using my heavy marble rolling pin, but I need something longer, so I can stop getting imprints on the edge of my fondant where I've rolled it out.
Funny, I was watching the Buddy (from Cake Boss) clip on the Satin Ice website a couple days ago, and he was raving about his fondant sheeter machine...like everyone can just go get one for their home kitchen... LOL. What is that, anyway? Something for making sheets of pasta?
I think I'll have to be sticking with the rolling pin method. icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 18

You should invest in Sharon's Flawless Fondant DVD, if you haven't already. She shows how to cover a big cake.

For serving sizes, I use Earlene's Serving Chart (you can find it if you google), it has slightly bigger (more realistic) serving sizes. If it were me, I'd do 6/8/10/12/14/16 (That's going to be a big a** cake!!). Good luck on that one!

DebbyJG Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks! I actually talked to the bride and she's going to do a smaller stacked cake, "smaller" being relative - it's going to be a 14-10-6, with two side sheet cakes to make up the extra cake...which will also be covered in fondant....yeah, I think I may need to look into that DVD. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%