Question For Those Who Seal Their Bags

Baking By sweetcreationsbykimberly Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm by TracyLH

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 19

Do you seal the bag flat and then tighten with a ribbon? Or do you crikkle (sp) it together and then seal?

18 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 19

I seal the bag flat, pushing out excess air first so I don't have a little 'pillow". I then seal it and attach a ribbon or a foldover card.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 19

If tying with a ribbon I seal them flat and seal down a couple inches from the opening, not right at the opening. That way when you gather to tie (on the sealed mark) your bag still poofs up at the top and looks nice.

I do prefer to do the cardstock paper tags though, but sometimes the customers don't want to pay for them!
LL
LL

samona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samona Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 19

How do you seal the bag. Is there a machine that seals the bags?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 19

I use my Foodsaver machine to heat seal the bags.

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 19

KHalstead, how are you making your cardstock paper toppers. Do you have a template?

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 19

It's just a piece of cardstock (in that case polka dotted) cut into a square the width of the bag and then folded over the top of the bag and stapled. then I cut a thinner strip of the brown paper and cut the edge with decorative scissors ($1 @ AC Moore) and attached it over top of the staples (to hide them) with the decorative edge facing up, using double stick scotch tape. Easy peasy.

The self adhesive label is an avery address label....I designed it at avery . com and printed them out and just stuck them to the cookie papers!

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 19

oh and by the way, if you use real cello bags that are meant to be sealed...you can seal them with a curling iron on a low setting.

that's what I did before I had my vacuum food sealer!

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for the info, may I ask how much you add to your cookies if they want the topper?

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 19

I add $.25/cookie for a bag w/ ribbon and $.50/cookie for a bag w/ the paper tag

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 19

Gosh, i think people would have a heart attack if i added to the $2/cookie charge for packaging.......lol

KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 19

you'd be surprised......those cookies above were only $1.00 each!! without the tags....................and you'd be shocked at how many people are like "$.50 for a little plastic bag and some paper??" whatever...i'll put them in a bakery box!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 19

People just don't understand the amount of time these things take. I didn't either until I did them icon_smile.gif.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 19

KHalstead, thanks for the great tips. Love your packaging! Your mod Mom cookies are adorable! Is that the cookie you only charged a $1.00 for????? What size is it? Did you hand cut or make your own cutter. Those are soooooo cute!!! Thanks for sharing your packaging tips with us!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #15 of 19

I second that. You are always very helpful! The baby cookies are very very cute. I can't see how you sealed the bottoms though. Did you crinkle them first?

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #16 of 19

Wow, I had some bags I needed to seal today and the flatiron idea was awesome. It works GREAT. Thanks for the tip!!!! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #17 of 19

it was seal first and then gathered at the line that I sealed them.

Yes, those mod mom cookies were $1.00/ $1.50 w/ packaging.

They were about 5"x1" and yes I made my own cutter for them. I had to make 50 of them, so I wasn't about to hand cut that many!

babypooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babypooh Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 19

I'm new to this site but, after looking at the mod mom cookie...I can't believe that you are only charging $1.00 for the cookie....and 1.50 for packaging....I would have thought at least $3.00. I agree with one of the other ladies...when you put your time into these cookies you should be able to charge for time and decorating. I might have started out wrong, but I charge just for a Easter egg 4x3 maybe no less than $2.00. I want to give the impression, at least that my cookies are specialty cookies, that you won't get at a bakery.. If I start out like that I think, I might be wrong, that that will be the clientele that I generate...and if they want a deal, going a little back in price make customers feel like you are making exceptions for them, and people like deals. So again, I might be wrong, but I think that the way you start out is the way your business will go....I just sold some wedding cake cookies for $4.00 each, when I told them the price before they saw the cookie, they were a little reluctant, but when they saw the cookie they understood, and ordered 2 dozen of them..

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, those mod mom cookies were $1.00/ $1.50 w/ packaging.

They were about 5"x1" and yes I made my own cutter for them.

KHalstead - To say that they got a steal is an phenomenal understatement. Your cookies are so incredible and worth so much more. Such beautiful work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%