Basic Rules Of Thumb For Refridgeration...???

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 4:19am by tavyheather

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

I would LOVE to know if there are general rules for cakes needing refrigeration. I am trying to develop a fillings/icings list and am trying to avoid refrigerating my fondant-covered cakes (for space issues and also my paranoia!)

So far I know cream cheese frosting/filling needs to be refrdg.
...but ganache does not...
I'm wondering about Swiss Meringue butter cream when the whites have been heated..

Please share what I should use as a general guideline! I have been baking since I was a kiddo but never attended culinary school!

Thanks so much!!

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7
tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #3 of 7

I see it's a .gov... ah boy...this is going to be a page turner!!!

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

scintillating reading...http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Refrigeration_&_Food_Safety/

K..fascinating but I really didn't get my Q answered...thanks tho!!

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 7

I don't know if this will really help you but I basically refridgerate anything that is not buttercream or a ganache.. fruits to me are always best served a little cold and of course with a cream cheese filling or a pudding filling the ingridients to those have to be in the fridge.

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlow001

I don't know if this will really help you but I basically refridgerate anything that is not buttercream or a ganache.. fruits to me are always best served a little cold and of course with a cream cheese filling or a pudding filling the ingridients to those have to be in the fridge.

thanks!

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #7 of 7

I found this if anyone else is wondering what the answer is: ..kind of on-point: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660212-nonperishable.html[/url]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%