Baking In A Bowl - Will It Fall Or Break?

Decorating By AnotherCreation Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 1:11am by bakermom3107

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 9

My daughter and I are making a "cake" animal cell for her science project. I was thinking no big deal....But she want it to be round on the bottom just like the science book and not completely flat. If i were to bake the cake in a bowl and make just the bottom flat so it will sit still will the sides fall from not being supported????? Please any suggestions. I don't want to dissapoint her but I don't want it to crumble before she shows her project either. TIA for ANY help

8 replies
littlelucy30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlelucy30 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 9

I bake cakes in bowls all the time. The key is to make sure the cake is completely done. Sometimes I have to cover the top with foil so it doesn't get too brown. And also make sure you cool the cake in the bowl for at least 15-20 minutes. If you take it out while it's still to warm, it may crack.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 9

i have baked in bowls before.. make sure you use oven safe such as pyrex... but i have never used it round side down. the flat side is always my base. however, i think the dimensions should be ok with supporting itself.. well with my bowl anyway... sorry i cant be of further help.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

It should work out great. That is how people make the Barbie Doll cakes- you can buy a pan for it, but alot of people just use pyrex. Good Luck!!

AnotherCreation Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 9

thanks for the replies...I have also baked in bowls but never used round side down either...thats what i'm scared of. I guess i'm just wondering if i carve a little off of the round side will it be strong enough to hold?????? Hopefully someone in cc world has done this before icon_confused.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 9

It should be fine. Think about the sports ball pans. They are basically the same thing with another half-sphere on top. The cauldron in my witch's brew cake was made in a round pan with a flat side cut on the bottom and it held up fine. I would say just make sure you don't go too heavy on the fondant on the edges.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

My daughter and I are making a "cake" animal cell for her science project. I was thinking no big deal....But she want it to be round on the bottom just like the science book and not completely flat. If i were to bake the cake in a bowl and make just the bottom flat so it will sit still will the sides fall from not being supported????? Please any suggestions. I don't want to dissapoint her but I don't want it to crumble before she shows her project either. TIA for ANY help

As I read your post you are bringing back memories of when I was in 11th grade. I made an "animal cell" cake for my biology class. It was sooo much fun. I had those Dots candies (still on the paper) for the rough endoplasmic reticulum and strips of chewing gum for the smooth endoplasmic reticulum. I had gummy dots for the ribosomes. My nucleus wasn't edible as I used aluminum foil shaped into a ball. The mitochondrion were Mike and Ikes.

For baking, I baked it in a bundt pan and iced it smooth but I think your idea of baking it in a bowl is better....It will be more 3-D (even though my cake was more like a cross section of the cell). Baking in a bowl isn't difficult at all. I use my Pampered Chef Batter bowl to make princess cakes.

Good luck and post pics!

AnotherCreation Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I will just go for it. I will post the pic when its done and hopefully still standing lol icon_lol.gif

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:11am
post #9 of 9

So sorry... I didn't realize what you meant by round side down icon_confused.gif I would probably keep it in the freezer until she needs it though. But like snocilla said, it seems to work for the sports balls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%