Food Coloring Vs. Fondant Coloring

Decorating By officialamysue Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm by Renaejrk

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 6

I just learned how to make my own fondant instead of buying them in buckets... now i want to add color to them. Can I use the normal food coloring we use for frosting etc instead of buying the fondant coloring just for now? I'm in the process of making sesame street characters for a birthday party. So I'll just basically need the primary colors. Please let me know! thanks!

5 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

I use the regular paste or gel food coloring to dye my fondant all the time. There is a special "fondant" coloring? I think that is just another marketing ploy to get us to buy food coloring under another name.

officialamysue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 6

oh thank you so much i really dont want to order online YET hahaha! This would be my first fondant project!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 6

wait, what kind of "food coloring" are you using?? Are you using paste colors or the liquid colors you get from the grocery store?????

If you're using the liquid ones from the grocery store, that won't work in fondant in large amounts!

officialamysue Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 6

using the store ones. would it make the fondant too sticky or liquidy??

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, the store ones have too much liquid to use for fondant - the gel ones are better for your icing too! icon_smile.gif They really are not expensive. I get a huge bottle of mine for like $7 and a medium sized one for $3-4. I can get little ones for a buck. I use Americolor - it is wonderful and they have super red and super black which are more concentrated so you don't have to use as much - these are difficult colors to get as dark as you need them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%