Nc License & Pets Wake Co. Nc

Business By cakelace Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm by erinalicia

cakelace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelace Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 5

I've read a lot of posts about license and several discussing pets. A call to the inspection office with the NCDA explained the rules about pets.
Pets are treated as pests. If you want to have a home based cake decorating business, and you want to block off an area of your home, doors don't cut it. The area needs to be drywalled off between the pests and the cake area. If you want to operate out of a converted garage and it is attached to your house you must drywall the doorway that you would typically use to directly enter the house. No walking through the laundry to get to your garage. That's what I was told, and I thought I'd pass it along.
Maybe some people find a different inspector that is more forgiving, or maybe it's completely different in another county/state.

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, each state and even a county of the state can have differernt rules on the matter. (the county can be MORE restrictive than the state, but not LESS)

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 5

I am the one who recently posed the question about converting a garage space. The garage that I am speaking of is a separate detached building at my mother's home. I would never dream of turning her main garage into a kitchen.

Thanks for the info though.

cakelace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelace Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

I was referring to myself. I have an 2 car attached garage and a one car detached garage (shop). I had looked into if I semi converted the garage from a 2 into a 1 and a shop, what the restrictions for that would be. The main one has plumbing and electrical, where the back only has electrical.

I only posted referring to the garage to share what my results were. I inquired about blocking off the rooms with a door to isolate food areas and pet areas, and if that was a no I wanted to know how the garage space was different if it was an attached garage with a door to the house. The result...it's not, both need to be dry walled with no door access to the pet living quarters and business operating quarters.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry, I had just posted a question about this just last week. I just hadn't had time to call anyone to find out about anything. Interesting info though.

Sometimes it's not even worth it. At least for me it isn't right now. I'd gladly find a new home for my chihuahua if I only had him, but we have a labradoodle that is my son's dog. We are working with her to become a therapy dog for him.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%