Topsy Turvy

Decorating By redheadfairy2003 Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 4:28am by noahsmummy

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:58am
post #1 of 8

I am sooooo upset I hace tried to do this 2 times .... This last time was today and I am not forsure what I am doing wrong ... I did a 6,8 and 9 I froze then I stacked them and carved put crumb coat on and then it sat for 10 min to crust and then I did final icing and then I come back and the icing would not crust and the cake was leaning ......... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif And this was just the first tier...... plz help

Thanks

ps .. I know this has been a topic somewhere but can't seem to find it.

7 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 8

Were the cakes still partially frozen when you put the final coat of icing on? That can prevent tne icing from crusting. As for the leaning - I am not sure what you mean.

redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 8

yes ...... .... It was the mad hatter type smaller at base and lager at top and then slanted ..... and so by leaning .... when it started to un-thaw it started to lean... but could that be because I put the icing on while it was still somewhat frozen and made it heavy....

redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #4 of 8

Bump

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #5 of 8

I am not sure why you froze the cakes. My thought is the condensation from the thawing cakes is making them move. Not sure about the buttercream not crusting because I don't use a crusting buttercream.

redheadfairy2003 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 8

Jenn I had watched a video on how to do this and they said it was eaiser to freeze them ...... But I have found out that this is not the case..... then I thought well maybe I should have thawed them before I put the icing on .... But I did just try again with NO freezing the cakes but did a small one only 1 tier just to see what would happend so cross your fingers plz.... any input is helpfull... thx

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:23am
post #7 of 8

I had never heard the freezing thing but then again I still have things to learn. I have only made a couple of TT but never froze my cakes. Hope it works this time.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #8 of 8

what sort of cake did you use? my first tt was a disaster and i have yet to re attampt. the bottom collapsed before i had even put the second tier on! grrr. im not sure if it had anything to do with the heat (it was a verrrry hot day.. no air con.=()

but im thinking maybe the cake i used wasnt dense enough?? =S next time i try i will use something heavier, i thought i would be ok though, espec. seeing as i even over baked a little for some extra stability..

we live and learn i guess. but any tips would be great! i combed through all the threads on here rearding tt's i could find and followed all advice, it just wasnt meant to be that day! lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%