1St Time Using Fondant On Microphone Cake ..... Help!

Decorating By skerns09 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 12:16pm by suzied

skerns09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skerns09 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 4

Im going to attempt to make my daughters birthday cake this year she wants a microphone cake. I want to try to use fondant because I love how it looks. I am planning on using half of a ball cake mold for the top of the microphone and part of a 9x13 cake for the handle. Im just not sure how to used the fondant. Do I use the icing first then put the fondant on top? Do I not use icing at all? Is it ok if I bake the cake and use the fondant that day or do I have to refridgerate the cake first before using the fondant? Any tips would be very helpful and greatly appreciated! Any tips on how to make the microphone easier if what I already had in mind wouldnt work??? Thank you all icon_confused.gif

3 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 4

You should "u-tube" on how to cover a cake with fondant!!! Yes you need to put frosting on the cake before the fondant so it has something to stick too. You don't have to refrigerate the cake before the fondant but a lot of people do. If your going to make your own fondant make sure to make it a day ahead of time.
There is so much information out there and I don't really know how to start teaching. Maybe someone has a good web reference site???

skerns09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skerns09 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:26am
post #3 of 4

Thank you I will check it out! icon_razz.gif

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 4

I just made a round 8" cake and another 5" square. the 8" i carved it a bit on the sides to make it a bit oval shape. the square i cut it in two and made the shaft look long, that too had to cut a little bit to taper it. Cover it with butter cream. I used a bit of fondant for the top of the mic. came out ok. I dont know how to attach a photo otherwise i would have shown mine. I keep clicking on the add attachment button but it doesnt seem to be attaching the picture. I wish i had a way of showing it to you. Shall try to put it in the gallery, so that you can see it , if interested. You should apply bc before covering with fondant. Apply bc keep in the fridge for about 20minutes and then place fondant over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%