Bridal Shows / Feature Cake Vendors

Business By dalis4joe Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 2:03am by dalis4joe

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 8

I want to start doing some bridal shows.... every call I have made so far....
"Sorry... we ALREADY have a featured cake vendor"...

How do we overcome that obstacle?
How do you become a feature vendor?
Are there shows that have more than one cake vendor?

Help!
icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

Many bridal shows will limit the number of vendors in a category. As a photographer, I wouldn't prefer to be in a show that had 2 cake ladies, 3 DJ's and 47 photographers. Sounds like you need to get on their list early. Ask them "how can I get on the list for the next show?" YOu missed this one ... start planning for the next one! thumbs_up.gif

I am seeing more and more smaller shows being planned where the organizer is showcasing just one, maybe two, vendors in a category. Again, key is getting your name on their list early. Get on ALL of the lists for ALL of the shows in case an opening doesn't show up on your first show of choice.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 8

Debi's right. Go ahead and ask for next year.

Also, do you have any networking going on with others in the wedding industry? I have found out about several smaller bridal shows from the networking group that I belong to.

dalis4joe Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 8

great tip Debi.... I will call again and do that! also... I was able to book one for September... so that gave me hope... but I didn't think about asking them to add me for the following year/show...

Jill:

How did you find/look for a networking group? wht should I search for? is there a name for it? a website that has local chapters?

thanks girls!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 8

Some shows will give previous vendors first right of refusal. One of the shows that I do not only limits the number of vendors in each category, but allows participating vendors to sign up in advance for the next show. For example, there is a February show, and we receive a signup form for the next two shows, September and the following February. It can make it difficult for businesses to get their foot in the door. We had to be put on a waiting list and were contacted when one of the cake vendors decided not to return. If you're unable to get into a bigger show, the small ones will give you experience and let you find out what type of setup works for you.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 8

to find networking groups, you can search for your city name and wedding professionals. Check out the Meetup.com to see if there are any groups in your area. If there aren't, START ONE!!! talk to a few other wedding vendors, planners, djs, photogs and such and see who wants in.

I found my networking group from a friend of my sister-in-law. these two met at a chamber of commerce meeting.

Join your local chamber, join the BNI. While these aren't exclusive to weddings, they can get you some additional contacts. Also, check out rainmakers.... not exclusively weddings, but a good start.

dalis4joe Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 8

MCC & Jill... thanks... gonna look into that meetup site and will keep looking for smaller shows until a big one lets me in.... already have my name on 2 waiting lists... thanks debi!

I received a brochure that this years wedding color is Amethyst (Purple) can anyone confirm? I wanna do a nice dummy cake with the "NEW PINK" of 2010!

dalis4joe Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

to find networking groups, you can search for your city name and wedding professionals. Check out the Meetup.com to see if there are any groups in your area. If there aren't, START ONE!!! talk to a few other wedding vendors, planners, djs, photogs and such and see who wants in.

I found my networking group from a friend of my sister-in-law. these two met at a chamber of commerce meeting.

Join your local chamber, join the BNI. While these aren't exclusive to weddings, they can get you some additional contacts. Also, check out rainmakers.... not exclusively weddings, but a good start.

what is rainmakers? I searched online and found something this:

Rainmakers :: Indianapolis Business Networking, Indianapolis ...Rainmakers is a high energy network of strategic advisors, comprised of some of Indianapolis's most prominent and influential businesspeople, ...
www.rainmakersterrehaute.com/
and for a music group.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%