Can I Put Ri On Top Of Glace?

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm by drakegore

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 13

I usually decorate my sugar cookies with a variation of Tobas glace. However, I have a set of cookies I am doing this week on which I would like to write a name. I tried writing with thickened tobas glace and the result was less than desirable. I am hoping writing with RI would be better. Do you think this is true? Also, I dont' know if its okay to put the RI on top of glace. In my experience RI is tempermental so I don't want it to get funky! Thanks in advance for any advice.

12 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #2 of 13

RI gets funky when exposed to grease. Glace doesn't have grease so you don't need to worry. Yes, you can certainly decorate with RI over glace. If you want to write with glace, though, just add enough PS to thicken it up and it will be fine.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #3 of 13

I do it all the time! I like to use glace as a base coat, because it tastes better IMO, but I use RI for details because it's just soooo much easier for me icon_smile.gif

confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

I do it all the time! I like to use glace as a base coat, because it tastes better IMO, but I use RI for details because it's just soooo much easier for me icon_smile.gif

That's exactly what I was thinking! I really like using tobas glace for outlining and flooding but it seems no matter how thick I get it, its hard to do fine details. I am anxious to try royal on top. Do you use antonia74 royal or something else? I have had trouble getting royal to be the right consistency in the past, so any pointers would be appreciated.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 13

I have heard of many who do the glace on the bottom and RI on the top. I happen to use Antonia74's RI and I swear by it. One thing I do is to mix it to a thick creamy consistency and not letting it get 'fluffy'. I did 'fluffy' one time and it did not want to play. A couple of my cookie friends found the same thing.

Her recipe is just wonderful and I think she should be up for sainthood for sharing it with us. It completely changed my decorating and took me to another level. I would highly recommend trying it. You can play with how much water you use to get it to the consistency you feel works best for you. If you do have it too thick though, it can curl with a small tip, so watch that. Too thin and it can spread on you, but I sure you know that. If you are planning to ever do very small writing, PME makes a 0 and 00 that works like a charm. I do all of my writing and fine detailing with those. Just make sure your glace is thoroughly dry and give it a whirl! Have fun!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

yep, me too thumbs_up.gif

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 13

i use the glace exclusively. i don't have an issue with writing or detailing. the only thing i have found that royal can do that glace can't is textured work. you can't make things stand up or keep a special shape like with the star tip. i thicken my glace with enough powdered sugar so that it mixes like a soft peanut butter. i can get pretty detailed with this stuff

confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

i use the glace exclusively. i don't have an issue with writing or detailing. the only thing i have found that royal can do that glace can't is textured work. you can't make things stand up or keep a special shape like with the star tip. i thicken my glace with enough powdered sugar so that it mixes like a soft peanut butter. i can get pretty detailed with this stuff

Really? Maybe I just didn't make it thick enough. I tried writing on the last cookies that I made but it just looked messy. The letters didn't hold their shapes enough. The glace was so thick that I had a hard time squeezing it. Maybe I'll try it again and make it even thicker.

Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 13

Will it work if I cover a cookie with glaze/glace and stencil with royal? Is the glaze/glace hard enough? Can I stencil with glaze/glace?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 13

I dont' see why you couldn't. You could flood with glace one day and then stencil the next day. It should be hard enough as long as you are gentle. Not sure if you could stencil with glace or not. Seems like it might not be the right consistency but I have never tried to stencil anything so I have no clue!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 13

toba garrett floods all here cookies with glace and does the detail work on top with RI.

i try to do everything i can with glace. i struggle with the writing with glace but it can be done (apparently just not by me, lol).

diane

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 13

Oh, Drakegore, you're too modest!!! Your cookies are fabulous -- if they weren't, they wouldn't be featured in the premier issue of the Cake Central Magazine. Congratulations! icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 13

thank you! but really, i can't write on a cookie to save my soul! i am tickled pink you saw my cookies and knew they were mine (it is very hard to read my name on the photo)! getting my cookies in the magazine was the highlight of my year icon_smile.gif.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%