How Big Do You Make Your Cake Boards?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm by TexasSugar

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 15

I've started cutting my own cake boards out of foam core and love it! Although, I think I am making them too big. How many inches do you allow on the outside edge of the board? Like, for an 8" cake, do I cut a 10" or 12" circle?

(To be clear, I am not talking about the cake circles used under the cake itself or between layers. It's the actual board that you pick up a finished cake and deliver it to the customer on.)

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 15

for an 8" cake, I'd use a 10" circle, which would give me a 1" cardboard 'border' all the way around.

I think anything bigger makes the cake look smaller to the client.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 15

depends on the design. normally i use a board 2 inches bigger than the cake. sometimes 4 inches if i have a lot of decorations around the bottom layer or a birthday plaque or something. Where do you get your foamboard?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 15

I *usually* use 4" bigger as it gives more stability and also, if its a tiered cake, it goes up the same size as the other tiers. (for example, 16" board under 12"/8"/4" tiers) That only translates to 2" around all edges so I don't think that's very big and it helps keep from getting borders messed up, etc.

Depends on if I need any board decoration or etc too.

emlashlee Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

I have been buying mine at Michaels but the thin one is $3 and I can only get 3 cakes out of it. I need to check at walmart to see if it's any cheaper.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #6 of 15

I'm glad this thread came up. Another baker friend suggested using form core as a cake base, but I don't normally shop at Michaels (and the like) so I keep forgetting to check it out. How do you cover the foam core, fondant or foil, can you do both?

emlashlee Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

I'm glad this thread came up. Another baker friend suggested using form core as a cake base, but I don't normally shop at Michaels (and the like) so I keep forgetting to check it out. How do you cover the foam core, fondant or foil, can you do both?

That's a good question. I'm sure fondant and foil would both work. Tape would stick just fine to it for the foil. I have actually not covered them with anything yet. You can check out my pics to see what it looks like plain. If you're going to try it, make sure and buy an x-acto knife to cut them. I tried to do it with a sharp knife and only came up with ragged edges. The x-acto knife works like a dream.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:20am
post #8 of 15

I've never used the foam core. What is it?? I buy all my materials at a little cake decorating shop and they either don't have it or I never noticed it. As far as board size, I usually use on 2 or 4" bigger.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #9 of 15

My bakery supply stocks tons of pretty colors of florist foil. I use that...and then carpet tape to stick the cardboard cake circle (with cake on top) to the board so the cake never actually touches the foil.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:26am
post #10 of 15

I cut my foamcore 4" bigger than the cake. I cover the board with fondant and glue a ribbon around the edge. If you do it a few days in advance, it dries hard and you won't mess it up if you bump it while putting the cake on the board.

Hobby Lobby and Michaels have the foamcore go on sale a few times a year. Hobby Lobby usually has it on sale for $1 and Michaels for $1.25, so if you watch for the sale you can stock up.

I use foamcore for the boards between the tiers too and I cover it with press and seal wrap. It sticks itself down much better than plastic wrap and doesn't get bulky like foil would. It also doesn't come up when the cake is cut.

emlashlee Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 4:34am
post #11 of 15

I just googled foam core and came across this site:

http://www.foamcoreheaven.com/3whfobocusi.html

They sell 54 8x10" pieces of 3/16" foam core for $22.50 (42 cents/piece). Three of these are roughly the size of one piece you buy at Michaels for $3. They also sell many other sizes and it says they will custom cut. They only show square/rectangle sizes. I wonder if they would cut in circles??? That would be great!

Edited to say: I just emailed them to see if they would cut it in circles. I will post on here when I receive a response.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:50am
post #12 of 15

Logicpic makes foamcore cake boards, already cut in circles and food safe.

It doesn't work to post a link to it but just google it icon_biggrin.gif

I always cut my own, I don't do so many cakes that I need the precut ones.

Dollar Tree has foamcore boards too but they seem thinner than the regular kind to me.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 15

ok so how the heck have i missed it at the stores. I frequent the dollar tree (love that store) michaels and hobby lobby. i bet it's in the art sections right??where the painting stuff is?? i'll have to check in that section.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 15

I have found the foam at the dollar store is not as sturdy as the stuff at Michael's.
Also, Joann's has it on sale this week, I believe, for $1.50/sheet. Michael's puts it on sale frequently as well for the same price.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 15

Small or single tiered cakes I do 2 inches bigger. For larger on the bottom of a tiered cake I may do 3 or 4 inches bigger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%