My Table Saw Cake

Decorating By Calgary_Mama Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 2:41am by Calgary_Mama

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #1 of 10

I was asked to make a "carpenter" themed cake for my husband's friends daughter's boyfriend (that's a mouthful) lol
anyhow, I decided on a Table Saw, I had big plans for it, planned to do a tiered cake (lower half being 8x8x6 aprox. and top half being around 9 x 13) then I found out they only needed to serve at most 10 ppl and they wanted to pay $40. So instead of "wasting" all that cake ingredients and fondant, I decided to do the top half of the cake instead, and nixed the lower part.
anyhow, here is the cake. My husband was thrilled with it, as was his friend and the daughter icon_smile.gif She has asked me to make her birthday cake too coming up in June!
Although I quite like this cake, its not entirely what I'd envisioned for it. Perhaps because I didn't do what I really wanted to do...
but, I just couldn't bring myself to make a huge cake for only $40 - am I wrong?
LL

9 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 10

I think it is adorable. thumbs_up.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:56am
post #3 of 10

That cake came out cute!! What gets me is that you only charged $40??? It looks like it was covered in fondant with fondant/gumpaste decorations. It takes time to sculpt those decorations and the entire cake. Unfortunately, you have to ask yourself if it was even worth making for $40. Once you start factoring in ingredients, time, etc...I dont think you paid yourself much icon_sad.gif You did a good job...and you need to compensated for that icon_smile.gif

Calgary_Mama Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:12am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

That cake came out cute!! What gets me is that you only charged $40??? It looks like it was covered in fondant with fondant/gumpaste decorations. It takes time to sculpt those decorations and the entire cake. Unfortunately, you have to ask yourself if it was even worth making for $40. Once you start factoring in ingredients, time, etc...I dont think you paid yourself much icon_sad.gif You did a good job...and you need to compensated for that icon_smile.gif

I would not have charged so little if they had spoken to me first... however, my silly husband having no idea how much to charge for a cake, said "oh I dont know, around 30-40" when asked how much for a cake... I was needless to say stunned... and replied to my dear husband "don't ever tell a price again, please. Have them call me and WE can discuss what they are looking for and I will give them a price." He feels really bad for that now (as he should lol) but I told him to tell this guy to not tell anyone how little he paid, as someone else said on here before, I do not want to be known as the "cheap cake lady". I am still learning, but I feel I do pretty decent work (nothing like some of what I see in here, but I do a decent job on the cakes I do, and I constantly strive to do better work.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:30am
post #5 of 10

Sometimes our hubby's are not aware of how much time and effort goes into our cakes. Like you mentioned, it would be a good idea for future reference to discuss the pricing and detail of the cake directly with the client icon_smile.gif And remember, you don't want to be known as the cheap cake lady LOL!!!

Calgary_Mama Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Sometimes our hubby's are not aware of how much time and effort goes into our cakes. Like you mentioned, it would be a good idea for future reference to discuss the pricing and detail of the cake directly with the client icon_smile.gif And remember, you don't want to be known as the cheap cake lady LOL!!!

Exactly icon_smile.gif lol

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 10

The cake is lovely and you did a great job! thumbs_up.gif im sorry i cant comment on the price though because i have never charged for a cake .....YET! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 10

WOW! GREAT CAKE!

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 10

Ok cheap cake lady...just kidding. That cake turned out so cute. I would have charged more than $40 for just that tier alone...of course I say that but I never charge what I should. Just tell the hubby not to price cakes anymore.

Calgary_Mama Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #10 of 10

Hubby was very good last night at work and told his co-worker that the next cake they want me to do (they loved it so much, they want me to do one for his daughter's birhtday in June!!!) that it will likely be more, depending on what they're looking for, and that he is to go directly to me instead of going through him, because he has no idea how to price out a cake. lol. I was happy to hear how honest he was to his friend. His friend also offered to pay more for the cake, but he refused, becuase a deal is a deal, I woudlnt have accepted more at this point anyhow. icon_smile.gif Just wouldn't seem fair to be quoted one price and then oh no its going to cost more...

For you out there who are pros at charging for cakes... what would you charge for this cake? it was 9x13 with all hand made and hand painted tools and accents. I need help in this department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%