Smbc -- Is It Possible To Make It White?

Baking By ksic Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm by PattyT

ksic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksic Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 12

I have been practicing SMBC for an upcoming wedding order. The bride wants a white and black color scheme yet the SMBC has such a yellow tone (obviously, because of the butter). Switching to a clear vanilla extract did little to help. Any suggestions for a whiter effect would be appreciated!

11 replies
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 12

Does it have to be SMBC? Can't you just use fondant?

ksic Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 12

Actually, the bride requested no fondant. American buttercream is an option but she preferred the SMBC.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 12

I have read that if you beat it longer, the lighter the yellow gets.

ksic Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you, Loucinda. I'll try that. Any other suggestions? I've never used a white gel color -- might that help?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 12

I don't know, I had just started using this type of icing, and the ones who used it exclusively aren't here now. One of the recipes I was given has you replace part of the butter with some hi-ratio shortning (2 ounces) and that will make it lighter and help with using it during the warm months (helps to stabilie it)

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 12

Is it possible to find white butter at a health food store? I know you can get white margarine but I've never looked for butter.

or, you could try making white butter:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5130459_make-white-butter.html

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 12

I love SMBC, and my family & friends don't mind the yellow tone. But I've also had a request for white. So, I'm making a couple of batches this afternoon and I was going to try beating the butter separately while the whites are beating up then add it. Want to see if that helps. Some recipes tell you to do that, but I've never bothered.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 12

This is an interesting question and one I've struggled with too! I'm wondering if you could airbrush the cake with white airbrush and pearl luster dust mixed together, or just straight white if you want a more matte look? Has anyone tried this? I did recently airbrush an IMBC frosted cake with pearl dust airbrush but without the white color mixed in, it was lovely but still had the Ivory tone come thru so later I thought that I should have added some white airbrush to the mix.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 12

add one small drop of violet food coloring near the end of your beating, and it makes it less yellow

or use organic white butter.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 12

if it were me, i would substitute 1/4 of the butter with organic shortening, (Smart Balance, if you can get it) i would not used regular crisco because it is way too greasy. also, i've heard organic butter is whiter then non-organic. i think this would get you SMBC that is pretty close to being white...

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 12

OK - not sure if this is going to help because the lighting in the picture may not show true. For starters, I use Nick Maglieri's recipe for SMBC. 5 whites + 1 1/2C sugar + pinch salt + 1 lb butter. Proceed with usual SMBC technique.

But....while the whites were beating in the stand mixer, I beat the butter in a separate bowl till it was fluffy and it did look less yellow.

When it was time, I added the butter in scoops and beat until the frosting was the correct consistency. I didn't add any flavors 'cause I'm freezing these batches and Nick M. says don't flavor till you're going to use it.

Well.....it looks a little bit better - I thought it was pretty good till I used a piece of white paper to compare. I think when I go to use it, I'll try lorimom's suggestion - I'd heard once before about adding a color, but couldn't remember what it was.

The top half of the picture attached shows the frosting in containrs on my (white with small speckley pattern) counters - the bottom half has a piece of white paper to compare.

HTH a little!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%