Keeping Icing On The Bottom Tier When Taking Top Tier Off

Decorating By robn515 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 8:11am by BlakesCakes

robn515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robn515 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 12

How do you keep the icing on the bottom tier when you remove the top tier? The icing underneath the top tier always comes off on the bottom of the cake board. Any tips on how to keep the icing in place? It makes for an ugly piece of cake when served!

Thanks,
Robin

11 replies
fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #2 of 12

I remember reading in the Wilton books to sprinkle coconut on the cake before placing the top layer, but yuck! I hate coconut. I just cut my dowels slightly longer than they need to be so the top tier doesn't squash down into the layer below it.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 12

I wrap my cake boards in contact paper and they no longer stick to the icing.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 12

I read somewhere to use wax paper on the bottom of your cake board and sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the bottom cake to ensure it doesn't stick.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #5 of 12

I use wax paper, no powdered sugar and never had a problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #6 of 12

If you're using a crusting BC, you should give the icing a chance to crust before assembling the cake. In 30 years, I've never had the problem of the top tier sticking and removing icing.

If you look at the pics in this link, http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html , you can see the indentation of the cake plates on the top of each tier. You can also see how the dowels are just slightly below the surface of the icing. This tells you the plates were pressed right down onto the cake, yet the icing remained in place. I get the same result when I use just cardboard between the tiers (no plates anymore).

HEre's my view on coconut, as quoted in this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-670961-coconut.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I always caution folks on using coconut between tiers. I am one who DETESTS coconut, and if you delivered my 3 tier cake with ONE SPECK of coconut on it, I'd demand a full refund because I'd deem the cake totally inedible. I didnt' order coconut, I'm not expecting coconut, I dont' WANT coconut on my cake. And yes, I would not only LET you take the cake back, I'd demand that YOU be the one to get that cake out of my house.

In case you can't tell ..... I REALLY don't like coconut. icon_rolleyes.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #7 of 12

When I read about the coconut I was a little scared. I am personally allergic to coconut and I break out in hives when I eat it. We normally cut our cakes with a larger knife, we warm the knife in warm water and slide it between the bottom cake and the cake board. Seems to work for us.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:04am
post #8 of 12

The Wilton page I looked at also said you can use PS but I've not tried it, but I agree about not using coconut, not only do some people hate it but allergies too!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:09am
post #9 of 12

i have never had this problem. I too let my icing crust first. and as for coconut.. I too would go balistic. I am allergic to it. and besides that I truly HATE the taste of it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #10 of 12

I use cake crumbs made from the trimmings when I level the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I use cake crumbs made from the trimmings when I level the cake.

ewwwwww! crumbs in my icing, on top of my cake! ewwwwwwww! Yuck, sputter, pooey!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 8:11am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I wrap my cake boards in contact paper and they no longer stick to the icing.

Sorry, but contact paper shouldn't be in prolonged contact with something that will be eaten. It has a chemical in it that can leach out and into the food, particulary greasy and/or acidic foods. It's the same chemical that created concerns in baby toys and teething rings and was removed from those items a few years back (phthalates).

Contact paper is NOT FOOD SAFE, per the makers of the product.

No, no one is necessarily going to get immediately ill, but it is an exposure that people shouldn't have.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%