Difficulties With 3D Wilton Bear Pan

Decorating By ClancyJane Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm by jo_ann

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning to do a panda cake for my niece in a couple of weeks and had thought I'd use the 3D Bear Pan that Wilton makes. I have never used any of the Wilton 3D pans, but figured they couldn't be too difficult. But...I've made two test cakes and both times, the head has broken free of the body before I even remove the cake from the pan and the body seems to break apart very easily. icon_cry.gif I'm using heartsfire's durable cake for 3D and weddings. Am I not letting the cake rest long enough before trying to remove the pan? Maybe its resting too long before I remove the pan? Maybe the cake isn't dense enough or is too dense? I'm kinda at a loss, so any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

4 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 5

I have used the pan numerous times and the only time I had that problem was when I used my very moist and light chocolate cake so maybe it is the recipe. Grease very well and Follow the directions for removing that came with pan, I think something about only removing one side at a time, let cool, then put pan back on and flip over, remove that side and let cool. HTH

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 5

I've done the bear cake once with success. I posted how I did mine on this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6488225-.html#6488225

Did you follow the instructions for cooling exactly? I remember once mine was cool, he was much more firm and freezing helped me move him easily.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 5

Are you using a dense batter- like pound cake?
I usually mix a pound cake batter with a "regular" cake batter.
Then, after baking, I remove one side of the pan- let it cool then put the side back on and let the other side cool- does that manke sense?

I actually dont take the cake out of the pan untill the cake is 100% cooled.

HTH!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by azglobs

Are you using a dense batter- like pound cake?
I usually mix a pound cake batter with a "regular" cake batter.
Then, after baking, I remove one side of the pan- let it cool then put the side back on and let the other side cool- does that manke sense?

I actually dont take the cake out of the pan untill the cake is 100% cooled.

HTH!

Like azglobs said.

I have beheaded my share of bears. LOL.

It needs to be a dense cake and you have to cool it completely down.

Otherwise here comes Marie Antoinette ( at least I think she's the one that said " Off with his head").

HTH
Jo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%