I Need Some Help Fast!!

Decorating By cvigil Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 10:30pm by all4cake

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm making a cat cake and made the ears a couple of days ago in order to let them dry. I went to put them on the cake and of course, one broke. I am kicking myself for not making extras, I always do and this time, the one time I had on break, didn't. Is there anyway I can have one dry by about 6:00 tonight, 5 hours? I made it quick and am kind of freaking out right now.
Please help, are there any tricks? Magic spell? PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!

7 replies
monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 8

What medium are you using? Does it have to be dry so it will stand up? Can you post a pic?

I don't know if I have an answer, but I do feel your pain/ panic! I've often wondered about speed drying myself.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 8

I have dedicated a mini fan for drying gumpaste or fondant pieces faster than normal. Its worked great for me. I got it at Walmart. HTH

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 8

When I've used gumpaste, it usually dries within a couple of hours.

cvigil Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 8

It's a big ear about 4 inches. It has to be really dry because the cake is the head and the ears are poking out of the side. I don't have any pics yet. It is the American McGee Cheshire Cat. Really scary

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 8

If its just a quick emergency 'patch-up" then I'd suggest getting a piece of acetate, cut to the shape you want and cover both sides with thin pieces of your gumpaste - it will allow it to be inserted into your cake, have strength and NO drying time - just mention to customer that it needs to be removed.

cvigil Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much guys. I feel a little better. You guys have given me some great options. Thanks again!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 8

It may not help you much now but maybe for the future...

I dry my pieces with the help of the microwave...microwave them about 6-8 seconds (look in the window to determine a more exact amount of time...remove before bubbling occurs...you can see it soften up...watch the thin spots you may have)...remove and allow to cool (fan helps). Carefully, turn piece over...microwave for 6-8 seconds...remove and allow to cool. Repeat one or two more times depending on the thickness of piece(more repetitions may be necessary).

If it's a piece that requires a form, make sure you have 2...makes flipping easier...use parchment and make sure to dust the parchment really good. HTH

ETA: This is how I do it when time is VERY limited...I don't always allow time for pieces ...procrastination is one thing I possess a lot of...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%