Legal In California?

Business By moranda Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm by RobzC8kz

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering is anyone had any information regarding California, I bake cakes to give to friends and family, however some poeple have asked me to provide them one that they want to pay for. I only do this as a hobby, (I have a full time job) so this is done in my home kitchen.

I know it isn't legal in California to sell items from you home, but I was wondering if I could do it if I only charged for the cost of supplies?

I really enjoy making and decorating cakes but just to give them all away could get kind of expensive, I'm not looking to make any money just cover my expenses.

Thanks for any information.

3 replies
lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 4

it's not even legal to bake and give food to the public from your home.. at least thats what I was told by the environmental services department in my county icon_smile.gif

I'm not going to tell u one way or the other, because you will do what you choose, but you need to to make sure you are informed and fully aware of what you are doing

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 4

moranda, as far as I'm aware, home kitchens are NOT legal in CA in any shape or form. You must be in an approved commercial kitchen with certifications and licenses to boot. I've worked in the Hospitality Industry (F&B) for 13 years now (Riverside, San Bernardino, LA & Orange Counties) and CA has one of the toughest Health Codes known to man. City Codes will trump the Health Department, but ONLY when they're stricter, and unfortunately, they usually are. Even though there is a petition floating around here and elsewhere to change it, I doubt we'll see that happen any time soon. Caking is an expensive hobby for us non-professionals in CA, but what great hobby isn't? icon_lol.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 4

Anything you bake from home cannot be resold to the public in any way, shape, or form. In order to be a Legal baker in CA, you must be licensed, or work for a licensed and bonded facility and have a valid Food Handler's card issued by your local Health Department.

But...that being said, and since I'm no longer an evil unlicensed home baker...

For friends and family ONLY would I suggest even trying to charge for anything. Pass out NO cards, fliers, advertisements, or anything even remotely resembling marketing materials that would suggest that you are a bakery for hire. That includes a website or even a fan page on the big social networking sites. If you do want to post your pics to the public domain, make sure you put on there that the pics are to showcase your hobby ONLY and are not intended to be a solicitation of business.

Do not take referrals from friends or family or anyone else that you don't know personally.

Not that the Health Department has the time or man power to send little undercover spies out into the wild to try to trick a home baker into selling them a cake, but you just don't want the liability associated with getting anyone sick off of one of your cakes! Especailly strangers! You could lose everything...

Quote by @%username% on %date%