Wedding "sample" Cake

Business By ladybug76 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm by revskg

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 22

Hi!! I am fairly new to the wedding cake arena, as my business opened back in December. With summer weddings quickly approaching, all my consultations have ran smoothly; however, I have one bride requesting a "sample" design cake prior to signing a contract. icon_confused.gif She wants a 6-8" fondant covered, fondant "film" strip (it's a 1950's Hollywood feel), scroll work (from molds) along with top hat... which I already have a top hat cake she has viewed during a recent bridal faire. Her consultant is informing her this is 'normal'. Wasn't "normal" for me when I married nearly 7 years ago.. but wasn't sure about modern brides, especially since none of my other brides have requested one.
Thanks for the help!
~Jaime

21 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 22

No, that's not NORMAL, but it is NUTS!!!

Clearly dimwit bride is confusing a few small cake samples (for taste and combo ideas only) with the idea of receiving--for free, I'd guess??--a miniature version of her desired wedding cake!

If you WANT to do it, go ahead, but charge her accordingly--no discounts, no freebies, etc. If you don't want to do it, explain to her that a tasting sample will in no way, shape, or form, resemble a real wedding cake--that it may be a few fillings and/or icing flavors to smear on a couple of different flavors of cupcakes.

These brides just get dumber every day...........

Rae

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 22

No, I don't think it is normal. I've never had anyone ask me for a sample cake. If she wants one, that's fine, tell her you can make her one at XX price (whatever your per-serving price X the cake sample size she wants). If she doesn't think she wants to pay for your time to make her a sample cake so she can decide if she likes your work, then I wouldn't be worried at all about losing her as a client. Some people!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

No, I don't think it is normal. I've never had anyone ask me for a sample cake. If she wants one, that's fine, tell her you can make her one at XX price (whatever your per-serving price X the cake sample size she wants). If she doesn't think she wants to pay for your time to make her a sample cake so she can decide if she likes your work, then I wouldn't be worried at all about losing her as a client. Some people!

I agree....pay for it and it's yours! She's just testing you, take the test...it's her money and your glory!

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 22

It almost sounds like she's trying to get a free cake for an event...maybe her bridal shower? That seems crazy to me. Seriously, you need a 2-tier cake to see if you like how my cake tastes? Don't think so!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 22

I've had brides request a "smaller scaled sample" of their wedding cake BEFORE the wedding (I think to make sure I was up to the task) I charged my regular prices.

In this BTB's cake she's getting 3d cakes right?? So charge her your normal 3-D prices!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 22

If a bride told me that her wedding consultant told her that was the norm I would tell her she needed a new consultant because that person does not know what they are talking about, and if they don't know the wedding business well enough to know that that isn't the norm then he/she also probably doesn't really know much about the wedding industry at all. You are the professional not the bride. Tell her it is not normal in this business, because if it were you would have already offered. And since it isn't, that if she wants a "demo" cake then she is going to have to pay for it in full at time of order, and that your price per serving is $X.XX and the sample cake will serve a minimum of 50 since that is the smallest size you can possibly do for the design she has chosen (even if it isn't). Then proceed to tell her that what is customary is AFTER a booking fee is paid, you will draw her a mock up of the design on paper, for her to look at.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 22

Hey Mr Builder, I'd like you to build my new house. Your portfolio and reputation are great. But I'm still not sure. Please build me a playhouse for my kids, complete with carved accents and a letterbox free of charge. (So I can rip you off).

Not normal here or anywhere. If you had to decide between 5 providers, you have 5 free cakes? Don't think so!

She is just unbelievably rude. Unbelievably.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 22

Lol, I laughed when i saw this bride's request! I agree with all the others: Not normal at all! Even if it were some kind of "normal" I wouldn't do it! If she's paying for it, that's totally different and then I'd do that. But she'd better pay for it and pay well! It sounds like a lot of work.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 22

I had this happen once- mother of the groom asked. I told her sure, that will be $XXX. Her eyes bugged out and she shut up really fast. NOT NORMAL!!!
Your cakes are beyond great, so there is NO reason she shouldn't trust you to do her wedding cake. Some people's kids.
Is the dj required to play for their bridal shower? Limo driver needs to take them to lunch? How about the florist- does she need to weed their garden? Sheesh!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

Is the dj required to play for their bridal shower? Limo driver needs to take them to lunch? How about the florist- does she need to weed their garden? Sheesh!

I've never had anyone ask nor can I recall someone asking for something this dumb. dunce.gif

To our CC hair stylists .... I'm betting you get this all the time. Brides think their "practice" hair appt (as recommended by all the magzs!) should be a freebie? After all, it's not a REAL hair style ... it's just PRACTICE! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 22

I had a corporate client ask for a sample cake once, for a weird design that they wanted. They paid my regular price for it, and then ordered the "real" one bigger than the sample.

But "normal"? HE!! NO.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 22

[email protected] lady that did my hair for my wedding included the "practice" with the cost of the REAL hairdo, and make up was included too lol. I'm sure it was the same price as though I had arranged for all 3 separately........actually, maybe it was more lol

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:11am
post #14 of 22

I have people ask me if I'll do that, and I tell them no. It sure wouldn't be included in the price of the wedding cake if I did it. I'd charge her extra for it, too.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #15 of 22

Thanks all.... I didn't think this was 'normal'!!

Well, I went to the consult and not only did they ask for a sample cake, which I politely informed them that I would be happy to make a cake for such-n-such a price, but the consultant threw this at me..... "We are about $6000 over budget on the whole wedding. We were wondering if you could bake us the Hollywood themed fondant cake with hat topper for the reception, but I have a friend who will make the kitchen cakes to make up the difference in servings a tad cheaper??"

Really??? Am I hearing you right??? They want to use my design to show everyone and serve 80 people with... but then use someone else's sheet cakes to serve the remaining 60 guests.... all the while the guests would think they are eating my cake. What if it tasted bad? too dry?? And this was a wedding consultant asking me!!!!

If you are sssooo over budget with the whole wedding, then please tell me why you feel you need to cut back and start saving on the cake????? We were talking only $300-$400 - which is pennies compared to the $6000 the couple over spent on someone elses services. AAGGGHHHH!!!

Can you tell I am just a tad frustrated!! icon_smile.gif Rant is over!! Thanks for listening!!!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #16 of 22

OMG. Run like the wind. They get a sketch of the cake, not a sample of the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #17 of 22

Never, ever let your cake be served beside someone else's cake. Ever. Especially if it's a grocery, big box store or unknown baker.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:26am
post #18 of 22

$6000 dollars over budget on a wedding for only 150 guests?????????????

So let me guess...........she spent $5999 plus tax on a dress that she just couldn't live without and now everyone is supposed to cut her a major break because it's her big day...........

OMG--what champagne tastes on a WATER budget.

Send her packing. What a whack job!

Rae

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #19 of 22

Don't even hand her the sketch, show it to her, but keep it until she has paid the non-refundable deposit

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #20 of 22

NEXT! And make sure you keep that sketch and do it as a dummy for your business.. sounds like a neat design and those crazy people don't deserve it!

People have some nerve. Like it's your problem they've overspent!

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 22

Give her the number to the grocery store bakery. She can get a real nice cake there for, like, $33.00.

Or maybe she can talk them into a freebie, too. It'll be good advertising!

Sometimes you just have the urge to ask folks:

"What planet do you come from?"

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #22 of 22

And I'm SURE the wedding consultant was the first in line to volunteer to cut HER fees to get them back under budget? Run away from this one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%