Uh Oh.... How Do I Fix This? Short On Servings!

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 6

So, cake is due tomorrow. I am making a cake similar to this one by Nunuk (beautiful cake!). I figured I could do 2 stacked 6 inch squares for each gift box (total of 4- 4 inch tall cakes for a total of 72 servings). But....when I dry assembled the cakes last night they didn't look right....they were too tall (over 8 inches high). So, I removed one layer from each cake and now have cakes that are 6 inches tall (which now looks right). However, this means that I am now short on the servings...rather than 4 cakes I am only using 3. They ordered 60 servings ..by my calculations the cakes now will serve 54. Any suggestions on how I can add to this to make up for the shortage?
LL

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

Add a small cake with the B&G names and wedding date...don't make it too showy or it will take away from the main theme.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6

Could you decorate the 1 extra layer you removed like it's a lid for the open box? Maybe have it sitting off to the side??

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

oh wait, is the one with the bow supposed to be the lid to the box?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe torte it thin and round the layers off...and then ice them and arrange them around the cakes covered with some "tissue paper" and a bow that looks like its just been removed from the gift?

Or just take the square and make it an additional "gift" and board it up separately (unless it can tie in nicely on the display board with the others) and explain that to make the cake match the photo, you had to cut too much cake off so you made up the servings in an extra gift. I'm sure they won't mind.

I had to do that in a small way for a shoe cake I did....I had to use some extra cake to make a round "plaque" with a message and another one with a logo to make up some extra servings but it was on a smaller scale.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I thought of adding another "package" but was worried about the scale. The idea of making a plaque though would work and give somewhere for a congratulatory message. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%