Imbc, Is It Sturdy Enoug For Fondant ? Please Answer Asap

Decorating By infinitsky Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 4:45am by jolmk

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:05am
post #1 of 16

I am going to make my first fondant cover cake tomorrow, it is for my family. It is four layers cake with three layers filling. My questions are:

If I use IMBC between layers, is the cake going to be sturdy enough to withstand the fondant weight?

Is it hard to make IMBC, or I mean what are the chances messing up making IMBC for the first time?

Thank you for your time in advance...

15 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:30am
post #2 of 16

short answer is YES you can use it as filling and to crumb cot under your fondant

it isn't difficult, but it is intimidating. you need to have a thermometer and DO NOT walk away from your boiling sugar.

there are lots of threads discussing troubleshooting IMBC so if you have problems, don't panic and whatever you do don't throw it away. it can be saved

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:43am
post #3 of 16

I dont know about IMBC....I use SMBC and it does hold up to the weight of fondant. The trick is to chill your cakes before you put the fondant on. Its not difficult to make but it does take some time...as leannewinslow said....you also need a thermometer. The following link is a great thread on SMBC. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605-smbc.html

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:57am
post #4 of 16

I made IMBC for the first time last weekend and it turned about amazing! Frosted 69 cuppies with it and got rave reviews over it icon_smile.gif You definitely need a thermometer to make it as everyone else has stated. I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing. I like SMBC but I love IMBC! Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:33am
post #5 of 16

No need for aa thermometer AT ALL with this FAB recipe found right here on CC. I use it on every cake, and I prefer it under fondant, as long as you chill it down well before covering....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7000/easy-meringue-buttercream

bennett5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:35am
post #6 of 16

Please try that recipe !! Its sooo easy AND yummy, youll never need that thermometer again !!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:36am
post #7 of 16

IMBC is the only frosting/icing I use under fondant and usually for everything else too, LOVE it. I actually don't even use a thermometer, although one would be handy, I just keep a glass of cold water by my syrup mixture as it's cooking and keep testing it by dripping a bit in the water every now and then until I get to the "hard ball" stage like in hard candy making. I don't use fresh egg white only powdered so making sure the syrup is hot enough to kill bacteria isn't really an issue with me. I love that IMBC isn't as sweet as some frostings, so IMHO, it complements the super sweet fondant perfectly. It is a bit tricky at first, well mostly a few little but important steps, but it's not difficult to make, I highly recommend a stand mixer like a Kitchen Aid though, it has to mix until the syrup cools and that could be 15-20 min or even a touch longer-eternity with a hand held mixer!

bennett5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:36am
post #8 of 16

I actually triple the recipe most of the time for large cakes...

bennett5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:43am
post #9 of 16

This one is great too and these directions have the best tip ever for knowing when your egg whites are up to temp....

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6927/very-vanilla-swiss-meringue-buttercream

bennett5 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:45am
post #10 of 16

If you try it let me know what you think

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:30am
post #11 of 16

yep i don't use a thermometer either and it turns out fine for me. No need to be intimidated, it isn't that hard, i'm sure you will be fine thumbs_up.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 16

Thank you to all of you amazing people out there... icon_biggrin.gif

I will post a picture of my cake when it is done.

@bennett5
I will try that recipe and will let you now what I think...

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 16

I thought it was really important that I mention the reason you MUST COOK THE SYRUP TO 240 DEGREES is to kill any potential salmonella in the whipped egg whites.

I am sure you have good results with the other non-thermometer ways of testing the sugar but it is vital you cook it to 240 degrees.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

I thought it was really important that I mention the reason you MUST COOK THE SYRUP TO 240 DEGREES is to kill any potential salmonella in the whipped egg whites.

I am sure you have good results with the other non-thermometer ways of testing the sugar but it is vital you cook it to 240 degrees.

yeh but it's ok if you use the non-thermometer recipe but keep it in the fridge just incase you didn't get it exactly up to that temp right?

bennett5 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #15 of 16

When using the no/therm. method after whisking your egg white sugar mixture for aprox.3-5 minutes, stop and let a few drops of your mixture fall on a couple of your fingers and and rub them together. If you feel ANY grainy texture keep whisking over the simmering water until its completely smooth to the touch, this ensures youve gotten it up to temp(to kill bacteria). Sugar melts @ 320degrees so your well above that 240 temp. I learned all this on a video someone made on youtube, it was great, sorry I cant remember her name???

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:45am
post #16 of 16

Don't panic and you will be fine. Salmonella dies at 165.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%