"thank You" To All The Pros For Their Honesty.

Decorating By adree313 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm by ShanB

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 14

I just want to thank all the pros on this site for their honesty about this business. Though, a lot of people think it's just "mean" or "rude", I think it's all been really helpful.

I had wanted to own a bakery for years now, but I didn't realize how many hours and hard work went into it. Now, of course I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but you all showed just how hard it is. You show us that you really have to have a HUGE passion for it, or it'll never happen.

I realize now that I don't have the passion needed for this business. I'm not saddened by it; I still love the hobby. I'm grateful for all the insight the pros have given. I could have wasted so much money and time just to realize that this business isn't right for me... or rather, I'm not right for the business.

So THANK YOU! pros. Your help is irreplaceable!

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #2 of 14

icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 14

And that's why we love you! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 14

icon_smile.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 14

That's really good to realize before it's "too late" that for you, doing it as a hobby is a better choice. People tell me all the time, "You should go into business"! I say... "No WAY!" People don't realize the hassles the "pro's" go through. (that goes for owning any business) I don't have that amount of passion for this, nor the patience. Don't get me wrong, I love doing cakes but there are people out there that can do this for a living and I know that I"m not one of them. Kudos to the pros!!! And thank you all for sharing your tips, experiece, ideas, etc. with those of us who are not.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 14

Yeah,

what keonicakes said

thumbs_up.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

That's really good to realize before it's "too late" that for you, doing it as a hobby is a better choice. People tell me all the time, "You should go into business"! I say... "No WAY!" People don't realize the hassles the "pro's" go through. (that goes for owning any business) I don't have that amount of passion for this, nor the patience. Don't get me wrong, I love doing cakes but there are people out there that can do this for a living and I know that I"m not one of them. Kudos to the pros!!! And thank you all for sharing your tips, experiece, ideas, etc. with those of us who are not.

thumbs_up.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

Yeah,

what keonicakes said

thumbs_up.gif

I totally agree, for some ( me included) if it were to become more than a hobby, it would kill my joy for it, it becomes work then. ya know?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #9 of 14

I agree, it is great you realized it before it was too late.

Personally, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Sure, I work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, but I love it. I love being my boss, I love the creative side of it, I even love the challenges behind the business side of it. I don't even mind the customers who get mad when I can;t do a sculpted cake in four hours like they do on TV. I could never work for anyone else ever again.

For those of you who feel you DO have the passion, you also have to have a passion for not making any money the first two-three years! hahaha!

leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #10 of 14

icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #11 of 14

thumbs_up.gif I love what I do - and I am VERY thankful for the pros on here - they have helped me in so many ways, there would never be a way for me to repay them for all the pricelss information they have shared. My business grows more and more each year ~ and I know it is with the help I receive here on a regular basis. icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #12 of 14

I too am not planning to "go pro". I stress out too much on cakes I have done as gifts, for people I know. I can't imagine doing this for others. Following the stories on CC has reaffirmed my decision.

I will continue to live vicariously thru others!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

thumbs_up.gif I love what I do - and I am VERY thankful for the pros on here - they have helped me in so many ways, there would never be a way for me to repay them for all the pricelss information they have shared. My business grows more and more each year ~ and I know it is with the help I receive here on a regular basis. icon_smile.gif

I agree with you there!!!

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #14 of 14

I always thought I would love to do this as a business from my home... I have changed my mind too. Its not for me and CC has shown me that. I have a job I love and a hobby I love too. I realized I should leave it at that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%