Fat Daddio's Pans...am I The Only One??

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 3:22am by Kandykin

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 8

I've been having problems with my cake dropping in the middle, I've made changes to the recipe, oven temp, etc and nothing seems to work. Then yesterday I baked 2 cakes, same batter different pans and noticed that the cake in the F Daddio's sunk and the other didn't. I've baked 2 more cakes since, same recipe but used different pans, and my cakes raised perfectly...so I've come to the conclusicion that my problem it's with the F Daddio's pan....which makes me really sad b/c I really like those pans...

Has this happened to anyone else? and how did you solve the problem? I really like these pans and I paid a good amount of money for them, I have 3 differents sizes and had the problem with all 3 everytime I used it..please help..

Thanks
Anna

7 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 8

I was having that problem too, but haven't notices FD vs any other. I have quite a few different brands.

I had issues with the mixes I was using. I got a bad lot I guess. Now if I add a tsp of baking powder to the extender and have not had any issues.

Have you tried using a nail? Maybe it is because FD are thicker?

stephanie

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 8

Smbegg, actually I just read about the nai, and will try it, I guess this will help with the heat distribution...Thank you !

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:18am
post #4 of 8

not to hijack your post or anything but I'm trying to decide between fat daddios and magic line pans. I like the fact that F Daddios are stronger(anodized aluminum I believe) and magic line pans have a crisper edge(I read in a post). I was also told by the lady at the store that FDs dont need the bake even strips because it is thicker and has great heat distribution. I too would love to know the answer to the original post to help me decide.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:26am
post #5 of 8

I have both brands and Wilton and Magic line by far is my favorite, I am going to try and buy only Magic line from now on. I have to use the nails in the other two brands and the few Magic lines I have are small so didn't need to use the nail don't know about the larger size if I would have to or not.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 8

i have FD's and i use all the tricks PLUS a flower nail and i still don't have luck with them. lotsa sinking. i also don't care for the rounded corners. my next pan purchase will be magic line.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 8

I have mostly Magic Line pans and a few of most every othwer brand, collected over the years and one FD pan. There will not be any more FD pans for me. They are clearly inferior to Magic Line. I haven't had the sinking problem, but the FD pans produce a darker crust.

You should remember that the FD pans require special handling in that they should be used at no higher than 300 in a regular oven. I mostly bake at 310 convection. That means the FD pan would need to bake at about 285 convection. And THAT means that every time I use my one FD pan, I have to run it in a separate oven at a different temp. These "special needs" pans make it impossible to load up the oven and bake. I always have to remember to run it by itself. Total PITA.

I also don't think that the batter rises as high, probably due to the very slick coating. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I do measure batter for my pans and I've been doing this a long time.

The FD pans do clean up easily and the name is cute.

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 8

Thank you - that helps. I've been debating between the two and reading review after review....I needed a side by side review. I should have started a post of my own on CC and saved myself the trouble. I'm going to order the Magic line pans tonight! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%