2 Cupcake Liners

Baking By SaraM Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 3:16am by TheDomesticDiva

SaraM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraM Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 10

This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm trying to figure out how to use 2 cupcake liners on a cupcake. I've tried baking them in 2 and I've tried baking them in 1 and then placing them in another once they are cooled. For each method, some worked and some didn't (although this could have had something to do with the recipe I used). Thanks!
Here is what I am looking to do:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1600539&sub=1600540

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 10

looks to me like they just popped them into a second liner after cooling.........are you having troubles with your liners peeling away or something?

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 10

I've used double liners on some recent cupcake towers because when baked in single liners, the colors didn't "pop" for the display.

I baked singles - then used a swipe of non-toxic UHU glue stick in a clean, dry second liner. Then pressed the cupcke into the clean liner. It was easiest to do this before they were frosted.

SaraM Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 10

KHalstead - no, I'm not having problems. But when I bake chocolate cupcakes, the colors of the liners don't show up very well (it didn't "pop" as PattyT put it) and so I thought it would show up better with two and I think it looks cute. When I did it, though, it just looked like I was carelessly shoving cupcakes into a second liner because they just weren't sitting in there right!
Thanks!!!!

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 10

It looks like the decorative liners have been "relaxed" a bit to allow them to sit away from the cupcake. Or maybe they are actually a hair bigger than the baking liners. I love the look of those too. So if you figure it out please be sure to post your results and directions. icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #6 of 10

all i know with mine is the reason they sit out from when you put the 1st cupcake liner in is because you are sort of forming the liner to the shape of the cupcake holes in you tin so the cupcakes with bake it that so when you go and put it in another liner that has not had it shape constricted slighly it will sit out from the 1st liner, WHICH i think can look really nice sometimes, for example i did that for some dress cupcakes i made so it look like a ruffled skirt (in my photo's if u want look).

Some liners hold their colour, other's don't, just depends on which ones you buy i guess, or you can put 2 liners together in the cupcake tin when you are baking....although when i have done this sometimes the second one waves a bit and pulls away a tad but most times they hold together.

SaraM Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the responses! Elsie87 - I think I may have originally gotten the idea from your pink and yellow dress cupcakes. I just love them!
I just bought the wilton cupcake tree (the metal one with the spiral cup holders), so now I don't think the two liner idea will work since those spiral cups sit so close together. But I am still going to try it for the cupcakes that won't be sitting in the tree.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 10

thanks Sara icon_smile.gif

I have used a few cupcakes liners before.

1. Ones i got cheap from the supmarket were very thin - colour fades badly
2. Ones i got out of a packet mix - slightly thicker, colour stayed pretty good
3. More upright baking cups - colours wern't affected
4. One from a bakery that had a silver slightly matte outside colour - colour wasn't affected

always wondered about all those really pretty dumask patterned ones etc you can buy from shops or on ebay etc if they hold their colour really well, i just never know until i buy one wether they will hold colour or not

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

I like the "pop" color look as well, and have tried placing in second liners and just didn't like the pulled-out look. I've started buying liners from my cake decorating store and thinking about OL too...Think it all ahs to do w/ quality...Just baked fudge brownie cupcakes in hot pink liners of obvious higher quality (thicker, better color saturation)..and they came out so much better than the grocery store or even Wilton ones...

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #10 of 10

Glad you liked the effect LOL.

Those were all baked in the yellow glassine liners, then I just popped some of them into a second colored liner after baking for the purposes of telling the flavors apart!! (After doing that for the colored ones, I thought it looked out of place to leave the others as a single, so I doubled those as well.) The all-yellow ones were White Velvet Cream, and the ones in the colored liners were Vanilla Bean!! icon_biggrin.gif Nothing special; same size liners, just sat the cooled cupcakes right into the middle of the liners and centered them. Hope that helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%