Drying Large Flat Pieces Of Fondant

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm by monet1895

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 17

How can I dry large flat sheets of fondant (like for the sides of a box, or even large plaques) without the slight moisture in the fondant making ripples in the parchment or wax paper and showing through the front of the fondant?

I am drying some flat "skyline" for a spiderman cake and at first I tried parchment and it wrinkled up immediately...switched to wax paper and its better but still they are not perfectly flat and smooth.

Maybe use thicker fondant, or...?

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 17

What about dusting a cookie sheet with cornstarch?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 17

Get sheets of vinyl - they won't stick and they won't ripple - they are perfect! You can put a board underneath it for a nice hard surface that you can move around, and you can also peel & flip it to the other side (like flipping a cake) to let both sides get equal drying time.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 17

Oh wow okay...where do I get sheets of vinyl?

I've always just "made do" with the wax paper but if I ever have to do like a replica of a building or something (I think I might have a gift bag cake coming up too, that needs perfectly sharp corners) I have GOT to figure out how to make these plaques smooth. So maybe this will work!

Renaejrk Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 17

I get them from a fabric store - very very cheap! I roll my fondant on them too - and cookies!

Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 17

Cool. icon_smile.gif

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 17

I just bought a yard of the vinyl this past weekend. It was $6 at Hancock Fabrics. I can't wait to use it. icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 17

Kitagirl, I used flat panels when I made my toybox cake last year. I dried the fondant on foam core boards and it worked fine. Dust them with powdered sugar so the fondant won't stick.

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 17

I keep seeing references to using vinyl from a fabric store for rolling fondant and it sounds great but I would really like to know if this is a food safe vinyl? The same thing with reference to pvc pipe from the hardware store. Plastic is not something I'd like to mess around with if it's not food safe. Just wondering....

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 17

I used the back of my sheet cake pan. Dusted it with cornstarch so it would not stick. Worked like a charm!!

Kitagrl Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 17

Like the buildings I made today though I didn't want the backs to be dusty...I guess it would work for gift boxes though!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 17

You can remove the "dust" with shortening. The shortening will dry into the fondant/gumpaste and leave a amazing looking clean shine!!

=)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 17

PVC pipe is used for water pipes so it must be food safe.

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 17

I used dusted cardboard cake boards last week and that worked great. I liked the cardboard b/c the fondant could breathe to dry. And then I put a 2nd board on top and flipped them over every now and then to help w/ drying. Very easy. I "painted" them at the end to get rid of the dust.

Kitagrl Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 17

I've tried cake circles but seemed the ridges showed through the fondant...

Renaejrk Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 17

If you're not heating the plastic I don't think there would be a problem anyway, but I have seen cake decorators use it on challenges and ultimate cake off.

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 17

Sorry that didn't work for you. Maybe my fondant pieces were a bit thicker than yours? Good luck w/ some of the other options!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%