Bride & Dragon Figures Finished...but?

Decorating By Taigen Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 1:33pm by katies_cakes

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 13

Here they are all done. Again this is my first time doing any figures so creative critisims are welcome but please be gentle. I have a lot to learn yet.
I used silver luster dust under the sugar "sequins" on her dress. The bottom of the dress is painted with super pearl.
Thanks again to "BeCuzImAGirl" for her dragon inspiration.
I am pretty happy with how they turned out I guess. I am a little concerred that when I did her cheeks with dust I noticed a tiny crack/mark ...does anyone know what I could do to fix it now? Also not overly happy with her nose, I may pop it off and try another yet.
Since this wedding has been postponed does anyone have some suggestions on how long these will keep and how should I store them?
Thanks.
LL
LL
LL
LL

12 replies
Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 13

First let me say, That dragon is incredible!! You did a fantastic job on it. Your bride is beautiful too. I really like her hair and eyes. The only comment I might make is that her head and arms seem a little out of proportion to her body. Now realize that that comment is coming from someone that could not make figures like this in my dreams. It's obvious that you put in a lot of work on them. It's hard to believe that this is your first time to make any figures.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 13

I thought the bride was kneeling down.........isn't she? The dragon is AAAAAA Mazing!!!!!! Incredible in fact!! I would LOVE if you could make a tutorial with that.wowo...

As for storage, I would just leave them as they are, put them in a dark room/cupboard some where and forget about them. If you seal them up in a container it could allow moisture to make them soft again (not good).

I'm sure the Bride is going to be ecstatic.......................so, just curious........is the groom gonna be on the cake too? Or just the bride and the dragon? Or is the groom the dragon ? lol

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 13

Oh dear....I wonder if I should re-make the bride? No she isn't kneeling.

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 13

If the wedding has been postponed and you have time to give the bride another go, it certainly couldn't hurt. It would allow you more practice and a spare bride just in case one gets damaged accidentally. You did a phenomenal job on your first attempt! Just think how great your second attempt would be. But don't try to correct anything on the dragon - he is perfect!!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 13

The dragon is super amazing, I agree the head and arms look a little big for the body, and her nose dominates her face, but the tecniques you have used are excelent for a first time. It does take time to get proportion right, but don't be put off.
You have done an excellent job with the modeling thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 13

I would just pop 2 feet on the back of her, she totally looks like she's kneeling......even in the back, it looks like her bum is right there at the bottom of her dress......I wouldn't remake it, it looks wondeful!!! I WISH I could make a figure like that!

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 13

I love that dragon. Amazing!

On the bride's face, I feel like the nose is a little high and a little big. My first figure (on the fairy cake in my photos) had a nose issue, too. It's hard to work in such small detail and not have huge features. I needed my hands to be about 1/4 size!

Also, her neck looks a little long and wide and her arms are a little long and large (around).

I hope that doesn't sound nickpicky - just trying to provide honest, constructive comments. icon_smile.gif Human figure modeling is really tough. I had a rough time with my first (and currently only) one with that fairy.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:40am
post #9 of 13

"Average" person is 7.5 heads tall. So if you measure her head and count down 6.5 more heads that is the "average" height. You did a great job though. I think either way the bride will be soooo happy!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 13

You did an amazing job on your modeling! I like the idea of putting her feet on the back to look like she's kneeling.

gothic-roxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothic-roxy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:34am
post #11 of 13

The dragon is so cute!!! I don't think the bride needs feet with the train of her dress flaired out in back. What did you use for sequins on her dress?

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:12am
post #12 of 13

Figures are SOOOOOOOOO difficult !!!!! Unless youve done one, you have no idea. I even got one of Aine2's tutorials and it was still very hard for me. I think they are both AMAZING!!! You should be so proud!!!

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 13

amazing!!!!!! i love the dragon, and you can tell it has taken alot of work and time!
with storage just keep them out of the sunlight and covered from dust. do NOT keep them in an airtight container! they an be kept for months!
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%