Fondant Questions

Baking By sweetstellatreats Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm by metria

sweetstellatreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstellatreats Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 7

I have recently made MMF and experimented with it for the first time this week- I cut out some things last night and left them sitting out overnight to dry (b/cI heard it takees longer for it to harden) Now, my cut outs seem really hard! I didn't put any tylose in it either.... I found that it seemed harder to knead in my color, the more I kneaded it, also- ??
THEN, when I was cutting something out by hand, it didn't have the clean edge that I get from my store bought fondant....so I got out my gumpaste and cut it from it....
As I knead it I obviously use veg. short., but I also sprinkle pow. sugar too...does this make it harder!??

I want to make my own, but today it just didn't seem to be as smooth as store bought, unless I cut something as SOON as I removed it from the microwave...
HELP!

6 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 7

Making your own fondant may involve lots of experimenting until you find what will work for you. You may have to try less powdered sugar or more marshmallows, or maybe adding some glycerin or tylose, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Thin cut outs will have no problem getting rock-hard when dry. I've had a hard time getting MMF smooth when using an extruder, which may be similar to what you're experiencing cutting out by hand.

If you want to experiment more, try a fondant recipe that involves gelatin, like Michelle Foster's recipe. I think it's more stretchy, but doesn't taste as good as MMF.

Don't give up!

sweetstellatreats Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

what does the glycerin do? I've never used that before??
I didn't add any tylose to this batch...it just seemed to get harder the more I kneaded it....
When cutting out by hand, it seemed to be too soft..it would stretch - and the sides weren't smooth....

metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 7

I've been told glucose and glycerin keep fondant pliable. I usually use corn syrup for glucose. Wilton sells little bottles of glycerin.

You might wanna just try cutting back on the powdered sugar to start.

sweetstellatreats Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 7

when do you put the corn syrup in the fondant??

metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 7

let's back up. if you want to try a new recipe, consider these:

Toba Garrett's fondant recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

Michele Foster's updated fondant recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Both have glycerin and corn syrup.

As for fixing your existing MMF, that's a hard call. It's all about learning what it should feel like. You can add more shortening and warm it up if kneading it is difficult. I like to add a little more melted marshmallows if it's too hard to work with.

metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 7

I've been making my own fondant since last summer ... only recently do I think I really understand it. I've made MMF and those other recipes I mentioned as well as worked with Wilton and Satin Ice. Any pros can jump in and put in their 2 cents. My experience isn't too deep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%